f i f t y n i n e ~ Defective

I stare at that stupid crack, tracing the length of it. Still, I can't figure out Kayla's fascination with it. I shove a hand through my hair and sit up.

"Hatchet, I swear to God if you locked yourself out again I am going to slit your throat and smile as the blood runs down your shirt!" Kayla screams. My lip twitches and I force myself out of bed and to the hall. I poke my head out just in time for Kayla to yank the door open. She tenses and moves to ease the door shut slowly, but something stops her. My eyebrows furrow and I step forward.

"Feisty, I like it." Bryan. Shit.

"Maybe I should've put pants on to open the door," Kayla answers. My eyes flick down and sure enough below the white tank top she's only sporting a pair of dark gray underwear. I frown.

"I'm glad you didn't." Kayla shifts half a step back her hand still pressing on the door. "Are you gonna let me in now, Doll?"

"I don't know you."

"That shouldn't be a problem." I step into Bryan's line of sight and take the last few steps towards Kayla.

"Is there something you need?" Kayla asks. Bryan's eyes trace her. Kayla shifts back again, right into me. I feel her jump against my skin.

"Bryan," I say lowly.

"Kayla I'm in the damn apartment! There's no need to be making death threats!" Jax yells from behind us. I don't dare turn around to look at him. I feel Kayla shift to peek behind me.

"She yours?" Bryan asks, jerking his chin down at Kayla. She whips her head around to glare at him.

"Excuse you, Bryan, I don't belong to anybody."

"Damn girl." He raises an eyebrow at her. I place my arms on her shoulders and ease her to the side. She doesn't tell me off. I don't let myself glance at her.

"Kayla, you should go find your pants or something," I tell her still looking at Bryan, who flicks his eyes between Kayla and me, then smirks. I step forward just enough to ease her behind me. Something in my voice keeps her from making a retort, so she nods and takes a step backwards. And I shift my head slightly to watch her turn and head down the hall. Jax steps forward, shirtless with a towel around his neck, and falls in step behind her, guarding her back all the way to my room. I turn back to Bryan, keeping my movements slow yet deliberate.

"What do you want, Bryan?" I ask.

"Does she live here?" he asks completely avoiding my question as he jerks his chin down the hall.

"No," I state. Bryan raises an eyebrow. "She passed out here last night after a party." I raise my voice slightly, hoping Kayla catches at least a general message.

"And you all know her?" I shrug.

"She goes to a lot of parties."

"She joining up then?"

"No," I snap, my voice an octave too harsh.

"You sure? She'd be good at it. A little hellfire vixen like that? She'd get more business than you rejects."

"I'm sure," I growl.

"She doesn't know about it," Jax offers from behind me. His voice coming out far more level than my own.

"Maybe I should talk to her then." He takes a step forward only for my hand to collide with his chest.

"No, you shouldn't," Jax says evenly.

"Why don't you let her decide. She might be interested in what I have to say," Bryan answers.

"She's not interested," I answer lowly.