t h i r t y t w o ~ Beneath The Dye

I take the joint from Jax's outstretched hand and lean back against the bleachers. I place it between my teeth and flick my lighter. Smoke billows out from my lips and I watch it go. Then I look down to my feet before taking another drag.

"Drop it, Lynnie," comes Kayla's voice. I flick my eyes up instantly. Kayla and Lynnara duck under the bleachers to join Jax, Bash, and me. The joint falls from my hand to the dirt. She's wearing her plain gray, long sleeve shirt and high-waisted, acid wash jeans. The ends of Kayla's hair are now a bright, cherry red. Her lips are painted to match. And damn, she manages to look hot as the trailer trash, train wreck type. I swallow harshly.

"Whoa, nice hair, Kayla," Jax says as he steps forward and picks a piece of it up to stare at. Kayla jumps away immediately. Her hands yank the strand of hair out of his hand. I watch as she swallows hard and tries to force a smile to her face, but it's horribly malformed. I step forward. Lynnara places a hand on Kayla's shoulder. Kayla flinches away hard, eyes wild.

"Kayla, are you alright?" Lynnara questions.

"Y-yeah. Yeah I'm good. I just spaced out and got spooked that's all," Kayla answers.

"You sure, Good Girl?" I ask. She nods.

"Yep, I'm dandy." She smiles and this one is strangely successful. I blink and try to find my thoughts again.

"Kayla-" Lynnara starts.

"I'm fine, Lynnie," Kayla snaps.

"So why'd you change your hair?" Jax asks, changing the subject. Kayla turns to him and shrugs.

"It was on the list." She doesn't offer anything else and something tugs on my gut, telling me there's a lot more she's not saying. But Jax lets it go and I find myself keeping my mouth shut. Kayla turns to Bash. "Hey Phoenix, do you have any cigarettes today?" Bash's eyebrows reach his hairline.

"Yeah I've got a pack," he answers slowly. Kayla steps forward and holds her hand out. Her fingers shake in the air. Bash places the cigarette in her palm and she snaps her fingers closed, drawing her hand quickly back in. She places the death stick between her teeth and holds her hand out again. Bash drops a lighter into her hand. She snaps her hand away again and lights up. I watch as she inhales deeply and blows out the smoke. Then she pulls the cigarette back to her lips. Lynnara watches clearly horrified.

"Kayla, what are you doing?" Lynnara asks, her jaw hanging.

"I'm smoking Lynnie," Kayla answers flicking the ash away like she's never stopped smoking.

"Kayla, stop this nonsense."

"Sorry I'm not Miss Perfect, like you," Kayla snaps. "I enjoy killing myself slowly, thank you very much." Lynnara huffs and shakes her head.

"Look I don't know what happened, nor do I know why you dyed your hair, but I'm not sitting around to watch you try to blow up everything good you've got going for you. Come find me when you're done." Lynnara turns and starts walking out of the bleachers.

"And what if I don't want to?" Kayla calls.

"You will," Lynnara answers. Kayla takes a ridiculously long drag and turns back to the three of us still under the bleachers.

"Why are you smoking?" I ask. The words missing my filter entirely. I curse my stupidity silently. Kayla shrugs.

"I've been craving one since the day we ditched."

"I thought you quit," I state.

"I did and then I got bored." I open my mouth only to be cut off by the bell. Kayla sighs and starts sucking the cigarette down. She pulls the cigarette away and curses. "I've got to get to class. Here, Pretty Boy, don't waste this." She hands me the cigarette and our fingers brush. My breath catches with hers. She jams her fist into the pocket of her acid wash jeans and spins away. Then she rushes out of the bleachers. But before she gets far I see her pop a stick of gum in her mouth.