f i f t y t w o ~ Closed Doors

I push my wet hair back out of my face and reach out, smearing the side of my fist across the fog in the mirror. I tilt my head into the gap scanning my face and hair, before turning and walking out of the bathroom. I take my dirty clothes and walk down the hall to my room. I toss my clothes carelessly to the floor of my closet then walk back out. I head down the hall expecting the find Kayla on the kitchen counter with my Coco Puffs on her lap. But the counter is empty. I glance at the clock. Her and Lynnara were only supposed to be an hour at the library.

"It's just- I don't know what to do, Kay." Ryder. I turn to the couch.

"Ry-Ry," she sighs. I step forward, moving around the couch to see Kayla press her lips against his cheek and brush his hair back. My fingers curl tightly against my palm. "I'm sorry," she murmurs

"Good Girl?" I question. The words come out more clipped than I intended. Ryder whips his head up. Kayla stands up, stepping slightly in front of him. I raise an eyebrow.

"Pretty Boy, you're going grocery shopping."

"I'm what?"

"Grocery shopping. I need a box of spaghetti noodles and tomato sauce. We're having spaghetti."

"Kay," Ryder says, but she ignores him.

"Go," she tells me. "And use your own cash. I'm broke." She shoves my shoulder and I let her push me to the door, too stunned to question it. I step through the threshold and the wood slams shut behind me. I reach into the pocket of my jeans and come up empty. I don't even have my key. I knock on the door.

"Kayla!" I call.

"Shopping!" she yells back.

"I need my jacket. My key and cash are in the pocket."

"Ugh! What good are you? You had one job! One job!" She keeps yelling but her voice fades out as she goes further into the apartment.  "-really, Pretty Boy, all you have to do is keep the cash on you and we're good!" The door swings open and she tosses me my jacket. "Enjoy your walk," she says. Then the door slams shut again. I stare at the wood for half a minute then turn and head down the stairs.

I come out of the back door and glance to the dumpster, but I know I wouldn't have anywhere to put the food if I took my bike. So I stroll out of the lot on foot and head down the street. After the third block some girl tries to get my attention with an obnoxiously loud fake laugh. I glance over at her. Blonde, but too tall. I keep walking.

I walk into the store and head straight to the noodle aisle. I grab the sauce next, then walk to the front and slap some cash on the counter for the blue-hair chick to count up and put in the register. I leave the store and make the walk back to the apartment, this time without anyone trying for my attention. 

I walk into the apartment, only half expecting Kayla and Ryder to still be on the couch. My eyes drift to the hallway next, waiting for one of them to walk out of a bedroom. Next to me someone inhales loudly. I turn towards the noise. Ryder straightens up and swipes his thumb under his nose. He nods at me and I nod back before looking to the right as someone inhales again. And I watch Kayla lowers her face, with a rolled dollar bill in hand, before snorting a full line across the kitchen counter.

"Kayla?" I question. She tilts her head back as her lips part. Her eyes flutter closed and she exhales slowly, before grinning wildly. "What the hell are you doing?" I ask, stepping forward and set the grocery bag on top of the counter.

"Crack cocaine." She leans down for another line but I lean forward, swiping my hand across the last two lines.

"Pretty Boy!"