n i n e t e e n ~ Painted Golden

I look back and Kayla waves me forward once more. She smiles as she does it, but that doesn't make me feel any more comfortable with leaving her alone. I've never left her at lunch before. She's wandered away from me with Dominic countless times, but I've never walked away from her.

"I'll be fine, Pretty Boy!" she calls. For some reason I don't believe her. Maybe it's because I know Dominic slipped out to the back lot with a skinny blonde two minutes ago. Or maybe it's because she's completely alone in the hallway, not even Lynnara is beside her. But I turn my head and walk away. I shoulder my way through the doors and cross the parking lot to the bleachers. I duck under and find Jax standing in the center with a plastic shopping bag in his hand. I raise an eyebrow as his eyes dart behind me.

"Is Kayla with you?" he asks.

"Nah she told me to just come out."

"Is she alright?" I shrug.

"Don't know." I wait a beat before continuing. "What's in the bag?"

"I got Kayla a present."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah something she mentioned a few nights ago while we were out." When did the two of them go out? I thought she was still fooling around with Dominic, and she's the last person I can see two timing anyone. Yet even so, I feel my jaw tick.

"What is it?" Jax glances behind me again then opens the bag enough for me to peer inside. There's maybe six cans of spray paint. I catch a red, black, and gold lid before Jax closes the bag again. "What does she want to do with that?" I ask.

"I think she wants to vandalize something."

"Figures." I take a seat in the dirt and carelessly toss an arm over one of my legs. Jax stays standing for another minute then joins me.

"Is she coming out?"

"I think so." I manage to sound disinterested, even as my eyes flick to the entrance of the bleachers. Jax nods absently and kicks the dirt around a bit with his shoe. My index finger drums impatiently on my knee for a minute before I shove my hand in my pocket and pull out a cigarette. I offer the pack to Jax, but he just shakes his head. I put the pack back in my pocket, trading it for my lighter. I flick it open and inhale swiftly. I'm halfway through the cig when Kayla finally decides to show.

"Took you long enough," Jax says. I stay focused on my cigarette.

"Yeah well, you'll get over it." Jax stands up and dust off his jeans before picking up the bag.

"I got you something," he tells her. Her eyes go wide instantly.

"What?"

"I got you a gift."

"Hatchet, come on." He holds out the bag to her. She just stands there and shakes her head. "Don't... don't do that."

"You've got to open it now." He's grinning like a fool. She lowers her tray and backpack to the ground before making her way over to him. She shoves the bag down and wraps her arms around him, burying her face into his chest. He slides an arm around her waist and kisses the top of her head.

"Thank you," she mumbles.

"You've still got to open it." She pulls away with a grin and cautiously slips the bag off his fingers. I watch as she peers inside and then squeals. Throwing her arms around Jax once more, she places a kiss on his cheek.

"Are we going tonight?"

"Heck yeah we are." She laughs.

"Who's all coming?"