f i f t y s i x ~ Hands

I roll to my side, reaching out for Kayla. There's nothing. I draw my eyebrows together and slide my hand across the sheets. Cold. My eyes fly open. Shit.

"La La," I hiss. Silence. I sit up, spinning my head around the room. The closet door is open and the floor is littered with her clothes. I kick at the sheets twisted around my ankle and stumble off the bed. I launch myself towards the closet. My fingers close around a shirt still on the hanger and I yank it to the side. I shake my head and drop it to the ground. I shove aside my drug backpack and the hoodie filled with cash. Then I push aside a pair of jeans before sweeping everything out from the closet floor. Where is it? I dig through the fabric frantically. She wouldn't leave the clothes. Right? Right. No blue duffle bag. Her bag is gone. I stand up and storm across the room. Tossing open the door I storm into the hall. I walk straight out, not caring about anything else. Bash stands in front of the open fridge.

"Where is she?" Echoes of her sobs ring in my ears and panic flies through my veins.

Bash glances over his shoulder. "What?"

"Kayla. Where is she?" My voices isn't mine.

"She wasn't in there with you?"

"Yeah she was but I'm asking you where she is for shits and fucking giggles."

"Damn Kyle, chill out."

"Do you know?"

"No."

I rake a hand through my hair. Jax walks by me as he walks over to a cabinet.

"What crawled up your backside?" he mutters.

"Where's Kayla?" I shoot.

"With you, yeah?"

"For Christ sake, I'm asking you."

"Wait what?" Jax spins around to face me. The fridge door falls shut and Bash does the same.

"She's not here. My room is trashed. Her duffle bag is gone," I say

Jax swears as Ryder comes into the room. "Already? What kind of shit hit the fan this time?"

"Kayla's gone," I say.

Now it's Ryder's turn to swear. "How is she gone?"

"Well she isn't here, now is she?" I retort.

"Would she go to Lynnara's?" Ryders asks.

"Hell if I know." I answer.

"Well where the hell would she go?" Jax asks. 

"I don't know," I growl.

"I'll call her," Ryder says.

"Kayla?" Bash asks.

"No, Lynnara." Ryder turns and runs down the hall. He comes back out seconds later, phone pressed to his ear. "Lynnara? Is Kayla with you?" He waits a beat. "Is she there?" He walks forward and slams his palm on the counter top. "She's not here. No, we don't know." He looks back helplessly at me. "Do you have any idea where she would go?" The door opens and I whip my head towards the sound.

Kayla walks in, duffle bag over her shoulder. "Damn, a party I wasn't invited to?" Air slams into my lungs.

"She's here," Ryder says.

Kayla hoists the duffle bag up onto the counter.
"Did you guys find a ghost or something?"

"Where the hell were you?" I demand.

"Talk later, Lynnara," Ryder mutters.

"Why are you talking to Lynnie?" Kayla asks.

"Kayla, where the fuck were you?" I repeat.