t h i r t y f o u r ~ Aftertaste

I take a long gulp from the glass of water in my hand and lean back against the counter. Jax turns away from the couch to face me.

"Someone should probably wake her up," he says.

"And by someone you mean me," I state.

"I don't want to be the one to face her monstrous wrath, and don't think she'll mind if you're there." This time he wiggles his eyebrows and I scowl.

"You would've kissed her back too if she had kissed you," I tell him. He just grins.

"Maybe so, but the two of you were into it." I scowl again.

"Yeah whatever," I mutter. Then I push past him to get a clean glass from the cabinet.

"I mean it was show." I ignore him as I fill the glass with water from the sink. "That was live porn with all the clothes still on." I smack him upside the head. Jax pitches forward but catches himself on the counter, laughing. I storm down the hall and step inside the bathroom to grab the Advil. I set the glass on the sink and dump a couple pills out into my hand. Then I return the bottle and grab the glass. I walk back down the hall.

Jax has left the kitchen, and I don't know where he has disappeared to. But I walk over to the couch regardless. My blanket still lays abandoned on the chair where I slept. I set the glass on the ground and snatch the blanket up. I hurry it back to my bedroom and toss it on the still perfectly made bed.

I move back to stand in front of the couch and look down to find Kayla still passed out. Her mouth is open, her face squished into the cushions. Drool sneaks out from the corner of her lips and runs down her skin and to the cushion. Her hair knotted and tangled around the hood of my hoodie. Her hands curled around a pillow I brought out after she blacked out last night. And God, she's freaking adorable. I smile lightly and crouch down in front of her, retrieving the glass from the ground. I put the pills in the same hand as the glass and reach out with my empty hand.

"Kayla," I murmur. She doesn't stir. I gingerly reach forward and shake her shoulder. "Kayla," I say a bit louder. I move my hand away from her shoulder and move a piece of her hair back. Then my fingers keep moving, slowly working out the knots. "Kayla," I say again. Still no movement. I open my lips once more and freeze. Then I look up and around the apartment. No one is out here. I grab her shoulder again. "La La," I say softly, the name feeling foreign on my lips after all this time. But I still like the way my tongue wraps around the letters.

Kayla jerks awake. Her eyes fly open and she shoots backwards against the back of the cushions, taking the pillow with her. She swipes the back of her hand across her chin. Her eyes flick around the room before they settle on my face. And I watch as she slowly melts beneath my gaze.

"Pretty Boy," she murmurs.

"Hey Good Girl," I answer, my lips quirking up into a half smile. She blinks twice and then screws up her face to groan. Her hands move to her head. "Welcome to the hangover." I say. She waves a hand around as she shushes me. I chuckle. "I've got Advil," I whisper. She opens one eye to look at me. I extend my hand with the pills, unfurling my fingers. She reaches out and plucks them from the center of my palm. She places them on her tongue then takes the water from me with both hands. She takes a sip to swallow the pills, and then returns the glass to me. I set it on the ground once more, and take a seat.

"What happened last night?" she asks after a full minute of squeezing her eyes shut. I lick my lips, catching a trace of her, then swallow harshly.

"You danced for a bit. And tried to squish Bash's face," I say.

"And that's it?" I swallow again and look into her eyes.