t h i r t y e i g h t ~ Needle And A Thread

I lean back into the chair as my eyes flick across the screen and my fingers move on the controller. On the floor, Dominic does the same. And from the couch Ryder watches us. My character crouches behind a wall, as someone knocks on our door. I refuse to break my concentration as I scan my surroundings and shoot an enemy in the head. The knock from the apartment door echoes again.

"Is someone gonna get that?" Ryder calls.

"You're five feet away!" Jax hollers from somewhere down the hallway.

"Are you gonna get that?" Ryder answers.

"You lazy piece of-" Jax's yell is cut off by another round of incessant knocking.

"Who is at the door?" Bash screams. The door bangs in response.

"Alright! I'll get it!" Jax calls. My character moves out from hiding and shoots another guy in the back.

"Took you long enough!" Kayla's voice yells, followed by the sound of a slap. I whip my head around quickly. Forgetting the game to try and get her to look at me. She doesn't.

"Damn it!" Dominic yells, followed by a "Hey, Princess."

"Hey, you ready to go?"

"Go?" Dominic questions.

"Yeah you said we would hang out today, remember?" There's a stretch of silence that's far too long. I curl my fingers tightly around the controller as my teeth dig into each other.

"Of course I remember." Something falls into my lap and I look away from Kayla to see the second controller in my lap. Then I turn back to Kayla to see her lips pinned in place by Dominic's and I scowl. I pick up the second controller and throw it into Ryder's chest.

"Later boys!" Kayla calls.

"Bye Kay!"

"Adios." Bye La La. The door slams shut behind them and I turn my face back to the screen only to find that I've died. Ryder starts another match and I'm quick to join. I'm pretty sure Jax walks back down the hall. But it's not long before. Both him and Bash find themselves on the floor to watch us. Eventually the controllers find their way to them and Ryder and I are left to sit and watch.

Someone's phone rings and I jump slightly. My eyes flick around the guys double checking to make sure no one saw. My eyes snag on Ryder who tugs out his phone to give the screen a strange look. He glances up and drags his gaze around the room while his phone continues to ring. Then he looks back to the screen and answers the call.

"Kay?" he says. I sit up straighter. He waits a minute as confusion dances across his features. "Hey slow down, alright? I can't make out anything you're saying" Ryder squints at the ground. "Okay breathe and tell me what's going on. I still don't understand." Ryder's eyes widen and he scrambles to standing, almost tripping over his own leg. I lean forward quickly. He rips the phone away from his ear to hit the speaker phone button. "Where are you?" he asks.

"The hospital," Kayla answers quietly. I jump to my feet and move forward, closer to the phone.

"Is Dominic with you?" Ryder questions.

"N-no. I don't know. I think, I think he ran."

"What happened?" There's a long pause before she speaks, and when she does it's barely a whisper. We all have to strain to hear it.

"I told the cops I was mugged."

"Kayla, I need you to tell me what really happened."

"This guy...wanted money I think. Mini Nic said he didn't have it, so they started fighting. I tried to stop it, but someone hit me...I don't know who. And I was sort of...thrown to the ground. Then another guy showed up before the cops came. Everyone ran when the cops did show. Apparently I was bleeding a lot, so they brought me here."