t h i r t y s e v e n ~ Dodging Bullets

My foot taps mercilessly against the concrete as I stare at the doors. It's too early to show my face here, but there's no one here to actually see me. Still I clench my fists and triple check the parking lot, the fields, and the bleachers for anyone who might find me. There's no one. I exhale quickly and step forward into the school.

I stop walking in front of what is supposed to be my first class of the day and stare at that door too. I'm trashing whatever reputation I have just by being here. I know that. And yet when I close my eyes for half a second, I see Kayla. I'm gonna fix it, La La. Promise. I square my shoulders and open the door.

The teacher, whose name I didn't care to learn, turns to the door. He stares at me wide-eyed, though I can't tell if it's from shock or fear. Both are feasible.

"Kyle," he manages. I look at him. My eyes trailing over his perfectly straight tie and the shirt neatly tucked in. Such a loser. I almost scoff, but instead I bite the bullet.

"How do I pass?" I ask. My face barely moves.

His eyebrows on the other hand slam into the ceiling. "P-pass?"

"Pass the class," I say before slamming my teeth down onto my tongue to stop the retort I want to make.

"You've decided now you want to pass? In January?" I swallow back Kayla's face again and shrug.

"Yeah," I answer.

I think this guy wants to laugh. "It's not possible."

I step forward. "Well make it possible and tell me what I need to do."

"I can't just make it possible. It doesn't work like that."

"It could, if you let it," I retort with a shrug.

"You're going to have to repeat the class just like everyone else who fails."

"This is my third time taking the class, I know the material. Heck, I could teach you the material. I just need to pass."

"If you know the material you could've passed the class the first time you took it."

"I need to pass this time."

"Why now?" I whip out my best glare.

"Can you pass me or not?" I growl. 

"I can't pass you."

"Fine." I spin on my heel and storm out of the room relishing in the bang the door makes as it slams back into the frame. And then I'm moving down the hall to my next class. I walk in the door for a rerun of the same show. This time when I leave I have to take a minute to clench my fists and remind myself to breathe before I end up throwing my fist into a wall. And by my alleged fifth class I'm ready to break something. I yank open the door and storm in.

"I need to pass," I state.

Williams looks up from some papers at her desk. "Kyle?" she questions.

"I need to pass," I repeat.

"This class?" she asks.

I choke down a sarcastic response and meet her eyes. "Yes."

Williams stands up and moves to lean on the edge of the desk. "You are aware that it is January, right?"

"I've been informed four times this morning alone. I'm aware." Williams offers me a small smile.

"You've asked your other teachers to pass then I presume?"

"Yes."

"And they all said no?"