f o r t y s e v e n ~ Newspaper Packages

I reach up, resting my right hand on the bar above my head, and look down past my feet to the ground below. I take the last bite of my apple and drop the core. It crashes to the ground breaking into pieces. I smirk lightly and glance back up to the sky and the gray clouds above me.

"How long have you been out here?" Bash. I shrug but don't turn to look back at him.

"No idea."

"I think it's supposed to rain," he states. I look back to the clouds as Bash takes a seat next to me on the fire escape.

"Probably." Bash pulls out his cigarettes and flips open the pack. He tugs one out and offers me the pack. I look at it and shake my head.

"I'm good," I say. He shrugs.

"Suit yourself." He lights up and I inhale, craving the taste. But I don't dare reach for the pack of gum resting in the left pocket of my jacket. My fingers drum against my jeans as I let my right hand fall from the bar above my head. I grab my phone off of the fire escape and click it on, opening it to the screen with Kayla's name. The 'Happy Birthday' glares at me without a response. "Still no response?" Bash asks. I click the screen off and turn my head towards him.

"Nothing."

"Weird." I look back out toward the horizon.

"Yeah, weird." I push my hair back. "I'm headed inside." Bash nods.

"Alright." I stand up and duck back through the window. My hand grabs my phone again and I glace at the screen. No response. I sigh and slip the phone back into my pocket. Then I turn and head down the hallway. Jax sits on the couch with his arms thrown over the back and Ryder stands in the kitchen with a takeout box in his hand. I move over to the chair and take a seat.

"Any word?" Jax nods at me.

"Nothing," I answer.

"Maybe she's out to dinner with Lynnara?" Ryder offers. I shrug and look down at my phone again. Still, nothing. I click off the screen again and look over at the television.

"So what are we watching?"

"It's called Mud. I don't know, Matthew McConaughey killed some guy." I raise an eyebrow.

"It was just on," Ryder voices from behind us. I shrug.

"Alright." I lean back in the chair to watch the movie. After a few minutes Dominic joins us, sitting on the other end of the couch from Jax. I just end up more and more confused the further the movie progresses. From the corner of my eye I see Bash walk in and take a seat on the floor.

"It's raining," he states. I look over at him completely and find his hair and clothes pretty soaked.

"What'd you do? Sit in it?"

"It was just sprinkling. Then something broke and it started pouring."

"Damn," I mutter before turning back to the movie. Eventually the credits roll, but we don't get up. Someone flips through a couple channels until we land on Scarface. Dominic laughs.

"Now this is a movie," he says. I fight off a smile and watch as the boats move into the harbor on the screen. And we continue watching, turning up the volume as the rain bangs harder against our only window. Al Pacino pulls out the machine gun and we all sit up straighter. Jax hits the armrest of the couch a couple times and grins.

"Say hello to my little friend!" Dominic calls and we laugh as the door explodes on the screen. The rapid fire of the bullets after echoes through the apartment. And then it's still as the white smoke moves across the screen. The sound of bullets starts again, covering the words of Al Pacino on screen. Dominic sits up and pauses the movie. The sound comes again and I look back to the door of the apartment before looking to Jax. It's too early. We have another three weeks to sell.