t h i r t y ~ Blue Lights

I jump with a start, flipping myself into a crouch instantly. Sirens blare from all four corners of the world. My eyes instantly swing to Kayla. She flails her way to the ground only to groan. I stand up and move forward to help her up, but I'm too far out to make it before Jax. She grips onto Jax's arm as she looks around wildly.

"Shit. Shit! We've got to run," she says, letting go of Jax's arm.

"Kay, if we run in this empty field we're dead men," Ryder answers.

"What about the car?" Jax cries. No one pays him any mind.

"It would make a hell of a good story!" Kayla argues.

"We wouldn't make it if we tried!" Bash says, jumping into the conversation to dramatically throw his hands down. Dominic just sits there watching the chaos unfold.

"Let's try anyways! I've got too much to lose!"

"Good Girl, you can't run. You'll just get yourself in a much deeper hole." She shoves a hand through her hair.

"The car! What about the car? Does no one else see this as an emergency?" Jax calls. Kayla turns and starts running several steps. I move swiftly behind her and loop my arms around her body. She flails around wildly.

"You can't run," I tell her.

"I have to try! Please Pretty Boy, I have to try!"

"You won't make it!" I stress.

"I could! I could very well make it!"

"No, Kayla you can't. Not this time. These guys don't play fair."

"How would you know?"

"You think this is my first rodeo? Think again, Sweetheart." She stops fighting me and I slowly release her. She spins around slowly to face me.

"Oh God. Oh God." Blue lights paint her skin. I step closer to her.

"Kayla," I say.

"I'm going to die."

"Kayla," I try again.

"They are actually going to kill me before I reach eighteen." I grip her shoulders, hard, and shake her.

"Kayla." Her eyes focus on me.

"Pretty Boy?" she mumbles. I roll my eyes. Two squad cars pull up behind her.

"You're okay," I whisper. She nods, dazed and I release her. Taking half a step back I put my hands in the air. Kayla darts forward and slips behind me. I look back over my shoulder at her. "Come on you've got to show your face," I tell her jerking my head toward the cars. She steps halfway out from behind me and slowly raises her hands. I look back to the cars as two officers step out.

"Alright kids, hands where we can see 'em," the taller one says. He sounds tired and rather bored with us. Dominic stands up to raise his hands, the rest of the guys already have their hands in the air. The tall officer steps forward and stops in front of me. "Turn around." I roll my eyes but move. He steps up behind me and folds my arms down and into the cuffs.

"Pretty Boy!" Kayla squeaks.

"It's alright, Good Girl," I say.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?" says the officer as he walks me to the car. I bite my tongue like always. He puts a hand on my head and pushes me into the back seat. And as he does, I catch a glimpse of Kayla who's looking out at the field like she's still thinking about bolting.