f i f t y f i v e ~ White Cotton Sheets

"Danny," she whispers. "Danny." I crack an eye open.

"Go back to sleep, La La,"

"I'm going to school," she tells me. I reach out and pull her back against me.

"Stay," I whisper. She giggles.

"I've got to get ready."

"Five minutes?" I try.

"Then I'll never leave."

"And?"

"And I have to graduate." She pokes my face and I loosen my arms around her waist. "Don't be late," she says. Then she rolls away and climbs out of bed. I twist to my back and drag a hand down my face. Then I sit up and force myself out of bed. I tug on a pair of jeans and throw a black t-shirt on. Kayla walks back into the room, stretching her arms up. The movement barely moves the hemline of my gray t-shirt, but my eyes drop to her legs anyways. She yawns.

"Where are the boys?" she asks. I shrug.

"Beats me."

"Okay." She moves to the closet to pull out some clothes. I leave the room and head out to kitchen. I make a beeline for the cabinet with my Coco Puffs and pull out a box. I toss a handful back and move to the counter. Resting my weight against the granite, I shove my hand into the box and pull out more Coco Puffs. I toss the handful into my mouth and stare at the fridge, trying to figure out what else I want to eat. The apartment remains silent. So I grab more Coco Puffs.

"Hey." I blink and look to my right finding Ryder walking into the kitchen. He goes straight to the fridge and refuses to look at me. I toss a single Coco Puff into my mouth.

"Ryder." He turns to glance at me, but drops his eyes quickly. "So you like guys," I state. His shoulders stiffen but he drags a hand over his shoulder and looks at me.

"Yeah."

"It's alright you know." He glances down to fight a small smile.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Cool." I nod once and reach my hand back in the box, pulling out yet another handful. Then I extend the box to Ryder. "Coco Puffs?" I offer. He looks up and grins.

"I can't say I ever seen you share these with anyone voluntarily." But he reaches in the box anyways.

"Kayla eats them all the time."

"And we all know why that is." I shove his shoulder pushing him back a few steps.

"Don't know what you're going on about," I retort.

"Really? Nothing?" Ryder smirks. I jam my hand into the box of cereal.

"Nothing," I bite.

"Sure you don't, Pretty Boy." Ryder mocks.

I jump up. "Shut the hell up."

"Ry-Ry!" Kayla says. I stop moving.

"Whatcha gonna do now, Kyle?" Ryder baits, still smirking.

"I thought the apartment was empty. Hi." She walks over and throws her arms around him.

He laughs. "Morning, Kay."

"I was all alone," she whines.

"What am I?" I ask stupidly.

Kayla turns her head to look at me. "Don't know yet."

I blink. "What?"

She shrugs and pulls away from Ryder. "You coming to school?" she asks him.

"Not this morning," he answers.