Chapter fourteen: Stationary

Monday rolled around quicker than ever and so began my second week at the genius school. Peter was waiting for me by the stairs when Steve dropped me off, luckily he didn't see the soldier as Steve drove one of Stark's cheapest cars and wore a disguise of Grandpa clothes and a baseball cap.

I handed in all my homework and made it to my final class of the day. Chemistry. I sat beside Peter and we did the flame test, which basically meant we we got to play with substances and a Bunsen burner, getting to see the flame change colours. Magical.

'...and finally...copper.' Peter held the metal particles into the flame and a bright green flame lit up. 'Wow... that looks just like that avenger girls powers.'

I froze.

Did he mean...me?

'You know Charlotte, that girl. Uh, uhm. God, what was her name. Her superhero name, Emerald Storm! You know her, right?'

Is that what they labelled me? Damn. I'm not sure if that's really cool or unbelievably lame.

'No, I'm not familiar with that one.' I lied.

'Oh, well that's okay. She and her brother and sister have just joined the avengers, like five months ago. Emerald Storm, Scarlet Witch And Quicksilver.'

'They sound...interesting.' I said and he shook his head excitedly. I put my hand on the side of my face trying to shield myself from him but playing it off as being tired.

'Yep. I'd love to meet them, they're like, my generations superheroes. Everybody here loves them. It sucks that we don't actually get to see their faces, but their costumes are cool.'

'You've never seen their faces?' I asked hopefully.

'Nah. They move to fast to identify their features. The news and reporters never really get an HD pic. But you'll know if it's really them because they have super cool Sokovian accents.'

'Oh, Okay.' I made mental a mental note to try and keep up this American accent.

'Are you talking about the Avengers again?' Ned asked, turning from his seat in front of us.

'More specifically, the Maximoff siblings.' Peter replied.

The girl who sat beside Ned, who's name I learned was Michelle Jones (or as she's better known, MJ) let out a groan of annoyance. 'Dude, focus on our project.' She huffed at Ned in a sarcastic manner.

Ned rolled his eyes at her but continued to talk to me and Peter. 'I'm my favourite is Quicksilver. He can run so fast, he's basically a blue strip of light.'

'Yeah he's cool.' Peter shrugged. 'But Emerald Storm is cooler. She can manipulate weather, has chaos magic and is telepathic.'

'She's like Scarlet Witch but slightly better.' Ned added. 'Quicksilver is the best sibling.'

'Whatever. MJ, who do you think is the best Maximoff?' Peter asked.

'I don't care.' She said emotionlessly as she played with a piece of magnesium. 'But knife to my throat, Emerald Storm. She matches Loki. My favourite.'

'He's the scary, bad Asgardian.' Ned judged her decision.

'I like the bad guys.' MJ said as she flicked a magnesium strip at Ned face, it landing perfectly on his cheek.

At dinner I picked at my plate of horrible school food as Peter and Ned talked about stationary.

'We're going to the new store if you wanna come?' Peter asked, inviting me to some stationary store in town.

'Yeah sure.' I nodded, not being able to reject them for the sixth time. They've invited me to build a Death Star, hang out, go to dinner and so many more things this past week and I don't think another rejection would help with my cover.

I quickly went to the text icon on my phone and clicked on the group chat.

Fam
Me: Don't worry about picking me up today guys, I'm going to some stationary store in Queens with the spider kid.

Thor: Okay, Kat. Thanks for letting me know. Enjoy standing still.

Me: No Thor, stationary as in pens and pencils. Not the idea of standing in one position- you know what, never mind.

Natasha: Make sure to buy a new compass. It seems like a good weapon.

I clicked of the chat and went back to my disgusting school meal and the interesting conversation between Peter and Ned regarding Greek mythology.

/////////

After school me, Peter and Ned headed to the stationary store and began looking through the supplies.

As I looked at the rulers on offer, an explosion in the street shattered through the glass windows of the store and Peter threw me to the ground.