Chapter thirty three

A week went by in no time.

Natasha stopped in on Tuesday to see how we were doing only to see us enthralled in chores.

Wanda and Laura cooked dinner and did house work while Clint and me chopped firewood and worked the farm. Peter occupied the kids and the baby slept.

Being at Barton farm reminded me of being back home in old Sokovia. The fresh air, being surrounded by mountains and fields of grass, the freedom to roam.

Of course we worried about the team and the mission they were on but as the youngest, basically kids, of the group, we were sent out of the way. Out of sight, out of mind.

It was the second Monday being with the Bartons. We had been here a week now and had settled in to farm life.

Wanda carried baby Nathaniel over to Laura for his feed while me and Peter helped the kids with homework.

'Kat, Clint wants you to help him in the barn? Something about hay bales?' Laura called out to me from the kitchen.

'If he's lost his arrows again.' I rolled my eyes and got to my feet. 'It's literally like finding a needle in a haystack.'

'So take metal detector.' Wanda laughed at me, her Sokovian accent significantly stronger now we are spending more time together.

I opened the barn doors and turned to close them behind me, learning from this past week that whatever can escape, will escape.

'Clint if this is about your arrows again-' as I turned around I saw Clint strapped to a chair. His arms tied down to the sides and a metal mask covering his mouth.

Behind him were two masked people. From their builds I could only assume that they were men and their physics were a lot bigger than mine, there is no way I could take these guys alone. Not that I wouldn't try.

'If I ask politely if you could let him go would you?' I asked hastily. I could feel Clint laugh and the other guys get ticked off. 'No, okay. How about we talk this out? You take whatever you came here for and nobody has to get hurt?'

The guys took guns out of their pockets as they kept their mouths closed. They either didn't speak English or were being quiet to intimidate us. Or they were just bored and didn't give enough crap to actually speak to us.

'Alright then, I see we have to play this the hard way.' I shrugged before sending a kind message to Wanda.

Two guys have Clint at gun point in barn. Get help!'

They aimed their guns at Clint and the guy on the right spoke. 'If you use your powers, we'll kill him.'

I nodded. 'I'd expect nothing less. So, since I can't use my powers and you've got my friend tied to a chair and guns pointed at him. Why don't I sit down and you tell me what you guys are playing at?' I tried to sit confidently on a haystack, pretending to be totally cool and calm, but my legs shook as I walked.

I sat down and the guys exchanged weary looks. 'We're here to kill you, Miss Maximoff.'

I smiled. 'We'll see.' Throwing my arms forward, I sent my powers at the guys. Balls of green energy hitting them in the abdomen. I used my powers to grab the guns and pull them to my hands.

As the guys lay on the ground injured I untied Clint and we ran to the house. Wanda still hadn't responded to me.

As we entered the house frantically and out of breathe, we realised it was empty.

'Wanda? Peter?'

'Laura? Kids?'

Silence. They were gone.