Chapter eighteen: failure

I picked up my purple backpack that had finally been returned by Wanda. I sighed at the memories of going to school for those two weeks with Peter and laughed at my naivety. How could I have believed that I could go to American school and pretend to me a normal student? I would never be anything more than a failure.

I failed my parents, I failed Pietro and now I'm failing my team. Leaving them to fight a battle that I could have prevented had I have found the Gem.

There was a knock on my door before it swung open. Wanda and Natasha walked in and come and sat beside me. 'Your bedroom code is really easy to figure out, Kat.' Natasha said smug, sitting on my bed proud of herself.

I shrugged, whatever my code would be Natasha would always be able to figure it out, it's part of her job.

Wanda sat the other side of me and began passing me things for me to pack. 'Don't forget this, you may want to read it.'

She handed me a book and I examined the cover. 'Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen.' I chuckled as I read the title. 'I thought I left this in our apartment in Sokovia?'

'You did. But that was the one Strucker gave you and I figured you'd want a knew one simply because of the memories. I found this in Stark's library and he said he didn't want it so I asked if you could have it, and he didn't care.'

I was relieved that this wasn't the copy Strucker gave me all those years ago. But I was happy to have another copy. As I looked at the cover, I was reminded of that day Wanda began to read in English and was showing of to our parents as we all sat at the dinner table.

'Thank you Wands, I really appreciate it.' We shared a hug before we heard a sigh and Natasha wrapped her arms around us, joining in.

They helped me pack and we shared stories. Natasha saw that I had packed my purple hoodie and was reminded of the time when I first got here and Sam called me grape girl for a week. Wanda told Natasha about some of our families funniest memories and we spoke about Pietro and our parents, this time without tears.

We were pulled back to reality again when Friday's voice came through the speakers. 'Miss Katerina is wanted in the common room.'

'It's time.' Natasha said as she stood up. She grabbed my backpack and through it over her shoulder while linking her arm through mine.

We were about to leave when Wanda said 'Oh, Kat. Don't forget this.' The youngest Maximoff girl jogged to the door with her fist shut. She gestured for me to open my hand before dropping my ring onto my palm.

'Thanks Wands.'

////////

The three girls walked through the corridor with linked arms, laughing at Natasha's stories of pranking Clint.

Silence took over the Avengers as Kat, Wanda and Natasha entered the common room. They all stared at her as though she was carrying plague or something.

'Hey guys.' Kat said breaking the silence. There was a chorus of greetings before Thor stood up and pulled her into a bone crushing hug.

'Are you ready Kat?' He asked as he pulled away.

'As I'll ever be.'

'Okay, you and Loki will be leaving in roughly ten minutes.'

Thor ambled away and Kat took a seat on the couch beside Peter. 'Hey, Peter. I just wanted to say I'm sorry.'

He shrugged. 'You're just saying that because you don't know if you'll be coming back.'

She married her eyes at him. 'What do you mean? Of course I'm coming back.'

'That's not what Thor said to Steve.' Peter gave her a look of judgment and she sighed. 'You know, if you could just give the gem to the aliens none of us would have to fight your battle. You could at least stay and help us.'

'What do you think I've been arguing with Tony about?'

'Whatever. I can't wait for you to go now anyway.' Peter said with a voice full of hate. 'I hate liars.'

'Give it a rest would you.' Kat snapped, earning the attention of everyone in the room. 'I'm sick of you being angry with me because of a mission. Yes, Tony had me spy on you. But I never stopped looking out for you or stopped being your friend. You just decided to hate me. So this is your problem, instead of being angry with me, get angry with Tony, because I'll only take so much and you've pushed me to the edge. Get out of my face or I swear to god I will bury you in the gardens.'

Peter nervously gulped and nodded as Katerina stood up and walked out to the gardens.

'Damn.' Bucky whispered as he watched her walk away. 'I thought she was the nice one.'