Chapter 1

The world continued on as Katie sat on an old wooden bench at some broken down bus stop.

Her eyes mirrored the color of the depressing clouds--grey.

Unshed tears glistened in her eyes as the wind swirled to life around them, coaxing her to let it go. Let everything go.

She clutched the old worn down paper in her hands, a faded drawing can be seen in its creases.

She closes her eyes, because finally she doesn't have to see her reflection: the weather that matches her entire being, her eyes.

They're grey, dull, and right now, there is no life in them, at least not yet.

So she closes her eyes, shuts out the world since it's the only way to block out the reality. But then she sees the truth.

There's no veil that can ease her pain, no band aide to protect it, alcohol to cleanse it. Just the goddamn thing that seems to be eating her away as much as the feeling she's feeling right now--grey; the thing called time, because as the saying goes: only time can heal. But she wants to heal now.

"Katie..."

She doesn't need to open her eyes to figure out who it is. If the voice wasn't a dead giveaway, Rose was the only person she was supposed to meet here.

Katie has no idea where else to go so she just sits there and remains still even when she feels Rose sit beside her.

She can't look her friend in the eye, not after what she is about to make her do in the name of friendship when to Katie it isn't.

"We need to leave. Now."

In the end her friend had agreed to come; forced her way to come, and left Katie with no choice but to bring her.

Katie reluctantly opens her eyes and the first thing she sees is red.

Rose has long wavy red hair as if to potray her name, a stark contrast to the black mess Katie forced into a bun that morning.

Next is the pale skin, pearly white, something they both have in common, but Katie is more of a deathly pale while Rose glows like a blinding light; which is quite humorous since that is anything but.

Then Katie sees her eyes, they're dark blue and sad, but determined. Just like the mood created because of the grey clouds--because of Katie.

The raven glares at the unwavering red head, curses her for being so stubborn but can't voice it because she's no different and that'd make her a hypocrite if she did.

The bus suddenly arrives and that's their cue.

Silently they stare at one another. No words needed to convey that once they step on that mobile there's no turning back. Their world is going to come crashing down and come rolling to crush them for leaving, for running away.

Katie takes the first step because she can't let Rose take the lead. This was her idea first, and she sure as hell will make sure that every step taken is one used just in case she falls--so she falls first, and Rose will be able to use her as a stepping stone or avoid that step to repay the red head back for staying by her side till the end like how Rose had wanted.

She doesn't dare think about how Rose will actually stick with her to the end and end up like her.

A determined nod towards Rose makes the red head grip her shoulder bag's strap she's carrying, but the relaxing of the shoulders is from the small smile Katie can only send her.

Onto the bus they climbed, and away it drove.

There was no turning back.

In her seat, Katie unfolded the paper and smiled down at a full moon beautiful sketched and shaded in red.

It was as beautiful as the red moon sitting beside her.

Katie folds the paper and pulls out a chain from inside her shirt hanging around her neck, opening the locket attached to it. She folded the small paper again and puts it in the locket where it's safe and always with her.