Chapter 30 ✅

Katie’s POV

I take the only bus that crosses over the East’s territory to the east coast.

I note that now that I’m just relaxing until I arrive at my stop, the bus is actually faster than it should be going for safety.

It takes me less than a week to arrive at the coast.

My nose scrunches up in disgust when the foul stench of salt assaults.

“First time by the seaside?” A handsome young man says from beside me.

I don’t care how my mind automatically compares him to Jackson.

Right, Jackson. I’m thankful Silver, which is apparently my wolf’s name, has rejected me rejecting our mate. I pray Rose chips in a little now that I’m gone, but I have a feeling she will even if I didn’t tell her to.

“Yeah,” I reply. “The smell is revolting.”

“You’ll get used to it.” He chuckles when I move my mouth around because I can taste the saltiness. “The name’s Lance.”

“Katie,” I shake his offered hand. “Uh…I’m looking for a boat that will take me to the Old World.”

Lance’s smile falters a little and he’s staring at me as if it’s the first time he’s seen me. “You sure?”

“Yeah. I heard you guys take people to there all the time.” I’m confused now.

Lance laughs nervously. “You must be far from home if that’s all you heard. It’s expensive and a long journey through a dangerous sea. Plus, it’s up to those in the Old Lands on whether or not they want to take you, and they’re the ones who come up with a price.”

I shrug. “I see. And where will I meet these people?”

His eyes glide to one side of the wooden floor in the ocean, the dock, I’ve heard several times while on my way here.

There’s a ship that’s being loaded with barrels and wooden chests by men who are pale in comparison to majority of those in the area, let alone any group of people I’ve ever seen. They’re actually too pale like the dead bodies and I notice my skin looks the same.

“Those folks there are your ticket there.” Lance looks doubtfully back at me. “They’re not really a fan of those here in the New World.”

I smile at him. “I’m not either, at least with those back in the West, but what the heck right?”

Lance rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. “Actually,” he says with a forced laugh, “those from the Old Land call all of us here Westerners since we’re west of them and all.”

I’m taken aback by his words. “What?”

“Yeah, so it doesn’t matter if you tell them you’re a high ranked official or that you’re a good person, they’ll still consider us disgusting for people like their kind.” He shrugs off. “But when you work around here you get used to it.”

“Oh. Thanks... Anyways, I should get going. Thanks again, Lance.” I turn to walk away but he calls me again.

“Wait Katie,” I look back at him, “you should probably know that there will be a test for you even if you paid them. Just thought I let you know.”

I nod and thank him again before making my way to one of the pale men. I catch his attention immediately.

“What’s someone like you doing on this side of the world?” The pale man says and the other four men and a woman on board the ship look at us.