Chapter 28 ✅

3rd Person POV

"Do it before it's too late," Keith snaps.

"Get out of my way Samuel!" A shout from down the hall has the two males jolting in surprise.

Keith and Jackson look out the door to see Samuel holding Rose's waist as she tries to pry off his arms. Daniel and Trish are on the side just as dumbstruck as them.

Rose pounds his arms. "Let me go! I need to go after Katie!"

There's only the sound of her struggling before Jackson is bolting down the staircase. Keith remains frozen in shock. He looks to Samuel for answers, but it's only then he notices his bloodshot eyes, as if he was holding back his tears for a while now.

"Trish, stay here and help Samuel, I'm going after Jackson." Daniel stops briefly at the end of the hall and stares at Keith's shocked expression. "You coming?"

Before Keith can answer though, Daniel is bolting after his Alpha who is clearly about to lose it. After a moment to collect his thoughts, Keith dashes after him. He's going to give that sneaky little...

"Katie!" Keith roars before he's shifting and running towards the butterfly field. The annoying Alpha may have cut off their connection, but it doesn't mean he doesn't know where she's headed. In the end, Katie's all about sentimental things.

He comes to a halt once he reaches the butterfly field. He sniffs the air and begins snarling, startling the butterflies out of their resting spots. It's as if Katie was here just moments ago basking under the Moon Goddess.

Keith howls into the night, calling out to her. He doesn't get a reply like he expected. He hurts from the silence. He runs east trying to follow her scent that is being scattered by the wind. If only he was faster.

***

Jackson growls at Keith's lonesome howl. He wants to call out too, but he clenches his jaws and runs faster, propelling him before the wind even touches her scent.

It's not long until he sees a flash up ahead and he jumps it, both wolves snapping their jaws at each other.

Katie's white fur is a stark contrast to the midnight black fur coating of Jackson's wolf.

Jackson growls dangerously at Katie and blocks the direction she's trying to escape to. Katie snaps her jaws at him, two can play this game. Jackson doesn't dare to shift into his human form knowing full well that she'd take that chance to run passed him. The two circle each other.

Katie can feel her inner wolf thrashing around inside her head. She can hear it yelling out growls of disapproval. "You've already hurt our mate once!" The angry voice echoes in her head. Katie's ears drop and a whimper escapes her lips.

Jackson's ears perk up at the sound of it and he tilts his head questioningly.

Katie shakes her head trying to clear the dizziness. She glares at Jackson when he takes a step closer. She bares her teeth dangerously at him.

Jackson doesn't back down. Katie is an Alpha, so he already knows it's not going to be easy to have her submit to him even though he's willing to bear the back of his neck to her. Really, what a troublesome mate! He takes another step towards her and ducks when she swipes at him. He can feel the pain from her actions and he doesn't know if it's from the bond or the wolf inside him.

When Katie jumps over him, she falls unceremoniously on her back and whimpers in pain. Her eyes keep changing color as her wolf tries to take over her.

Katie is battling her wolf for control, and it hurts.

Although she hasn't communicated with her wolf, she can still feel her and what she feels. It's probably the closest anyone has ever gotten to communicating with their wolf. This is the first time her wolf is fighting her though. Clearly she's not pleased that she's trying to leave their mate without properly rejecting him.