Chapter 17 ✅

Katie’s POV

On the way back to the pack house I feel the curious stares directed at Rose and I. None of the pack members has really seen much of Rose, but somehow people are smiling at her more than they did to me.

I wonder if it’s because I’m an Alpha or it's just the affect Rose has on people because she’s an Omega?

Rose’s head snaps to me and sends me a radiating smile. ‘This place is beautiful, Katie.’

‘It is,’ I agree. Maybe it’s because she smiles a lot?

Samuel pulls both me and Rose through the pack house door and make our way to the kitchen. “Hurry up Nick!” He yells over his shoulders.

I watch on in amusement as Team Jackson laughs at a pale looking Nick.

“Shit,” Samuel curses, “me and Nick don’t know to cook for shit!”

Shoving the two males aside, I begin preparing the food. It’s a good thing there’s more than enough space for all four of us.

I begin cutting up vegetables and mixing spices into the pot full of ground beef while shuffling around Rose who is making several batters of cake and pie mix.

Nick and Samuel stare at us dumbfolded.

“Hey, Rose, should I make sweet chicken or spicy ones?” I ask while cutting the chicken breast into mouth-sized pieces.

Rose thinks for a while before saying, “Why not both?”

I send her a frown.

She notices and smiles, “Or just sweet ones?”

I smile at her. I don’t like it when people are picky about things, even if it makes me a hypocrite.

Rose finishes before me and only has to wait for her baking master pieces to finish. She looks at her mate and Nick in amusement when we see them drooling over the kinds of food I’ve already finished.

Once I’m done, I turn down their offer to help set the table and do it myself. Instead, I have the two males clean up the mess in the kitchen while Rose finishes her touch-ups with the desserts.

“Katie,” Nick comes from behind me and I glance at him so he knows I’m listening before going back to placing the food on the table. “You’re the one who makes lunch? And by yourself…”

“I’d appreciate it if you don’t tell the pack,” I say without looking at him.

“What? Why? They want to know wh—“

“It wouldn’t be good if they found out it was someone from the West Clan making their special lunch every day. There are many problems that can arise just from that.” I look back at him and he’s frowning.

I send him a reassuring smile, “And it’s fine if they don’t know. They probably would be more thankful if I left than eating my cooking once a day.”

“Katie…” He says sadly.

Thankfully Samuel comes barging into the room and grinning like a champ. “Rose is going to eat with the pack today instead of her room!”

I look at Rose and she smiles. “If that’s okay with you.”

I smile at her and cock my head to Samuel. “If you want to spend time with your mate I don’t mind Rose. Just don’t push yourself.”

She smiles even more and Samuel’s grins widen.

“Thanks Katie,” Rose says.

I have a feeling there’s more to it, but I wave it off. Rose is going to need to be able to rely on someone else besides me.