Chapter 19 ✅

Katie's POV

I wake up to just me in the bedroom.

Maybe Rose realized I needed space. I sigh. I'm going to have to apologize to her for being stubborn and a complete asshole.

After I finish getting myself ready for the morning I tidy up and head out.

My eyes linger on Jackson's door before I tear them away and take the elevator down to lounge. Daniel and Trish are making me think of unnecessary things, I swear.

Looks like I'm not going to be seeing him today either.

Entering the lounge I passively nod my head at others who greet me and immediately take off jogging to the butterfly field once I'm outside. I haven't been there in a while.

I hum a little tune and decide to let my eyes wonder. When I spot a couple of birds in the trees I smile and shake my head. I can't believe it's been almost two months since I met Jack and the gang.

I slow down at the thought before I'm standing in the middle of the familiar clearing.

Had it really been that long? I've been here that long?

A black butterfly catches my attention and immediately I forget all my troubles.

Butterflies, they were mom's favorite. They represent freedom.

Just like Samuel did to get the butterflies out flying, I howl into the trees. Suddenly, the surrounding fills with the colorful butterflies and they're fluttering around me, dancing around me.

I feel so weightless here when I join them!

I don't how much time passes but my body automatically sways with the wind; and stops when everything stills and stares breathlessly into the treetops mostly obscuring the bright blue sky.

Eventually, I lie on the ground and stare up at the soft glow of the sunrays escaping through openings from the branches and illuminate the whole area. It's beautiful.

It feels like I've been here forever.

"Forever isn't enough," I breathe out while trying to catch my breath.

I close my eyes as the branches sway allowing sunrays to blind me.

The sound of the butterflies' wings twitching and of some fluttering on the ground around me lulls me to sleep.

***

A snap of a twig has me snapping my eyes open immediately and staring into the direction of the sound.

I hold back a growl when my eyes land on the familiar teenage boy who had attacked Rose that day. I guess I fail since all the butterflies fly away into the treetops.

"Why are you here?" I ask.

As much as I want to bash his face, I refrain from doing so and instead go with a peace-maker question. Though, I don't care if it comes out a little angry.

Keith eyes me warily before moving closer and stopping at a tree near the edge of the opening, "Can't have you wondering alone. Who knows what you'd do."

"I was sleeping, that's what I was doing! Until you woke me up," I growl irritably. Why can't I just get a few hours of shut eye when I need it?

"Well, still," he says pathetically, "Can't have you fighting dirty with other pack members. So I'm here to watch you to protect them."

"What's that supposed to mean?"