Chapter 14 ✅

Katie’s POV

My smile immediately drops when I notice Jackson making his way towards us.

“Alpha!” Jessie happily greets.

It takes only a few strides before he’s in front of us. “Jessie,” his voice makes sends an involuntary shudder through my body, “it’s good to see you again.”

Must be because I haven’t heard it in a while.

A part me knows I’m lying, but I ignore that part when he finally regards me.

“Katie,” he says softly and my insides squirm from how he easily says it. “It’s good to see you too.”

“Yeah,” I say in a low voice. “You too.”

I pull out my phone to avoid his stare and my eyes widen at the time. “Oh, I need to take Jessie home.”

Which is not a total lie, but more of an escape from Jackson.

I’m happy I can feel his presence and I feel more relax now that I can smell him, but I shouldn’t be.

“Oh, I can walk you two.” Jackson offers.

I smile at him and he smiles back.

Damnit.

“Okay!” Jessie jumps off the bench and I follow after.

The three of us make our way back to Jessie’s house.

“Am I allowed to know how things went with Tony? He said he was going to find you, did he?” I break the silence.

Jackson sighs. “What he found is luck. He still has three months leave, but he’s using the time to train and prepare for the hell training with the elders.”

“I see,” but then I ask, “Is it really a punishment, training under the elders’ guidance?”

When Jackson grimaces I raise an eyebrow questioningly.

“Believe me, you don’t even want to know.” He simply says.

I nod in understanding despite how curious I am. Though, it was curiosity that killed the cat.

“I haven’t seen you since, you know.” I say awkwardly. I didn’t want to ask but it was bothering me how he didn’t even come say hi or something, even though that’s how I wanted it.

God my feelings are so complicated. Stupid mate bond!

“Oh right,” he chuckles in his deep tone, “I had Alpha duties. I kind of own an online business which helps supports the pack. Then, there’s taking turns communicating with other pack members spread throughout the east.”

“Seems tough.” I say carelessly.

His forced chuckle makes me remember that Alphas usually don’t take care of the pack themselves and when they usually stress out, the Luna is always there for them.

I send him an apologetic look which he shakes his head dismissively.

“Here we are!” Jessie’s voice catches our attention.

I hug her and smile. “It was fun hanging out with you Jessie. And Tony.”

“Mhm! Let’s do it again sometime! See you tomorrow Katie!” And she’s gone inside her house.

I hear another voice and recognize it as Tony’s and smile when I hear Jessie blabbering about today.

“Glad to know you’re having fun and getting along with others,” Jackson says when we’re walking back to the pack house.