Chapter 29 ✅

3rd Person POV

"Did you say 'I'm free'?" Samuel repeats. It feels familiar somehow.

"Yeah...?" Keith says slowly. "Why...?"

"'I'm free'" Samuel tries to remember. "I'm free," he repeats.

The image of a butterfly flashes through his mind followed by the grin Katie sported of news of the butterfly field. Suddenly it hits him and he's gawking in shock at how stupid he is. "What the hell!"

"What?" Daniel raises an eyebrow at his friend.

Samuel snaps his head towards him and he looks frustrated. "I remember! Ugh! How can I be so stupid?" He spins around and stomps his way back to the pack house. "Here I thought I was being left out but I...Ugh!"

Jackson slowly walks after him, the other two walking in his pace. "He heard the voice then?"

Daniel shrugs. "I don't know why that makes him snap like a girl."

"I knew he was a funny idiot, but this isn't funny and now I'm beginning to wonder if he might just be only an idiot." Jackson says.

"He told you he didn't hear the voice before? He really is an idiot for forgetting such an exhilarating thing." Keith says nonchalant.

"You know I can you hear you guys right?" Samuel grumbles up ahead. "And I was with her at the time it happened, trust me, had you seen her you'd probably have forgotten such a thing too."

Jackson growls behind him so the blonde quickly adds, "Just saying, besides Rose is my mate remember?"

"Not officially though." Keith added.

Samuel looks over his shoulder and grins wickedly at the youngest of the males. "Oh, it's not long before I make it official."

"Hey, by any chance you weren't waiting for Katie to leave just so you two can mate?" Daniel questions thoughtfully.

Samuel gapes and he stops walking. "Of course not! It's just Katie said to only do it if Rose is ready and fully healed! I wouldn't want to drain Rose with all I got, she couldn't physically handle it."

The guys break out into a fit of laughter at that. They all continue to bicker back and forth until they reach the pack house.

Keith parts way from the three higher ranked to finish grieving on his own.

"Do you know what Rose wishes to talk to me about?" Jackson finally asks.

"Should I come?" Daniel wonders aloud.

Jackson and Samuel look at each other then the beta before nodding.

"Why not? Trish is still there." Samuel says.

When they open the door to the guest room, Rose is sitting up straight with a determine face with Trish on the side smirking.

"Okay...you called for me?" Jackson isn't really close with Rose, but he has a feeling they'd get along fine once they hang out more often.

Rose eyes pierce him and they soften as she speaks. "I'd like to ask if I could be accepted into your pack, I don't mind going through the ritual."

He can see the swollen bags under eyes from crying too much, too hard. He remembers the state she was in before he'd left after Katie. He feels kind of bad for her, she must feel left behind. He knows he does.

Samuel on the other hand doesn't think any of that. Instead his eyes glow with happiness. "Really?"

Rose smile is gentle, but her eyes never leave the Alpha of the East's. "Yeah," her voice is soft and sad, but her words are clear and firm, "Silver promised me they'd do all they can to come back. It seems she has finally spoken to you."