Chapter 7

Katie’s POV

Sally looks on in bewilderment as I wipe the sweat gathering on my forehead.

It’s been three hours since I started cooking.

I’m pleased when she clamps her mouth shut when it starts to water. Most likely from the tasty aroma from all the food already finished.

I look up at her and smile smugly when I see her expression. “Where can I set up the table?”

Sally points to another door near the cupboards. “It’s on the other side. You can set up there. Nobody is there yet until we call for them. Do…do you need help?”

“Good! And nah. I don’t need help setting the table. I’d prefer doing it myself. Can you at least bring this up for Rose? Samuel’s share is there too. And you want to eat with the rest right?”

“Okay. Right…” She takes the pushing trolly with the two’s food on it covered and heads out to the elevator.

On her way out I tell her to mind link Trish lunch is done.

***

I laugh when Sally leaves before I begin preparing the table.

When I open the dining room’s door, however, I choke on my laughter, gawking at the size of the dinning room.

In the center of the dining room is a long ass table that stretches from one end of the room to the other end; around it are more round tables with chairs surrounding them and a few couches here and there.

I shake my head at the grandness of it all and begin setting the food on the long table.

Sally comes back when I’m almost done.

“Wow,” she says when she enters the dining room. “You really did make enough, more than enough actually.”

I smile at her comment as I finish placing the paper products. “Well, my mother taught me all I know about cooking and she always said, ‘The fastest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.’”

Sally laughs at that notion. “Really? Your mother must have won your father with that then.”

My smile drops at that and my face hardens on reflex. It’s a good thing Sally is too busy looking over the food to notice.

I clear my throat catching her attention. “I’ll be heading back to the room now.”

She raises her eyebrow. “Aren’t you going to eat?”

“I usually lose my appetite when I cook. I’ll eat later.” I smile at her but I have a feeling Sally isn’t someone who is easily fooled.

She doesn’t point it out though but nods her head and I quickly leave, thankful she doesn't press on further.

3rd Person POV

Sally frowns at Katie's retreating figure.

She glances over to the steaming food in thought. How am I going to explain why the food is different than how we cook?

Trish finally storms into the dining room and immediately takes a whiff of the air, her mouth drooling at the delicious aroma.

Sally laughs at her exaggerated actions and walks towards the kitchen door stopping next to the light switches. She presses the green button and announces into the speaker: “Lunch is done! First come, first serve! Today it’s a special lunch and Trish is going to eat all the good parts if you don’t hurry!”

Even before she finishes speaking, many members have already barged into the dining room through the door connected to the lounge. They all freeze at the sight.

Jackson and Daniel make their way through the crowd and their eyes widen in surprise.

Unfamiliar dishes are set on the food table and it smells delicious just as much as it looks it is.

Jackson looks at Sally and Trish who are standing next to it all.

“What’s the occasion?” Daniel’s voice echoes throughout the silent dining room.

“There’s no occasion, if you don’t want to eat, then I don’t mind, more for me.” Trish grins as she eyes the food.

“I never said that!” Daniel shouts at her.

Daniel and everyone look toward Jackson. He nods his head at the food table looking just as lost as them. “Dig in.”

And everybody rushes into a line to get some food. Sally and Trish are in the front.

Jackson raises an eyebrow at them.

As soon as Trish has three plates full of different kinds of food, she sits at her table at the end and downs her food.

Sally isn’t too far behind her.

Soon all the members are eating at the tables and enjoying the food with small chatter.

Jackson makes his food and makes his way to where Daniel and the girls are.

“Lunch today is like heaven!” Daniel says with his mouth full

“Mhm! I feel like I can die,” Trish mimics him.

Jackson sits down and looks at her in confusion. “Aren’t you two in charge with cooking? Didn’t you cook these?”

Sally downs the juice Katie made of fresh fruit and vegetables to stick to the healthy lunch.

She glares at Trish before she continues to eat and talking in between bites. “We’ve been cooking for the pack since your mother’s death. Have we ever cooked something this amazing?”

Daniel quietly looks at Jackson at the mention of his mother to see if he’s alright. Jackson remains passive as he always does. Daniel sighs in relief.

“Then who made this? If there’s someone in the pack that knows how to cook and doesn’t want to get stuck with cooking duty, you better tell us so I can have a talk with them.” He shoots them a look.

Trish rolls her eyes at her mate. “Don’t worry. They’ll be doing lunch for a while.”

“Lunch only? What about breakfast and dinner?” Daniel protests.

“Now that’s mine and Sally’s job. So shut up and eat your damn steak before I eat it.” She reaches for his steak with her fork but he swats her hand away.

“Don’t touch my steak!”

“Where’s Sam?” Jackson suddenly asks.

Sally shrugs her shoulder and answers nonchalantly, “With Rose. The two are eating in the bedroom.”

“And Katie?”

Sally stops eating and looks down at her plate with furrowed eyebrows. “She said she’s not hungry.”

The mated pair pause from eating and their bickering to stare at the blonde, then the three look at Jackson when he stands up with his food and leaves for the food table again.

Daniel smiles at his friend and continues eating. “Looks like she’s going to be eating lunch anyways.”

“Damn right she is. If he wasn’t going to get up then I would have!” Trish shoves a mouthful of shrimp patties into her mouth.

Jackson grabs a few easy things to eat and a few bottles of water before heading to the elevator.