Chapter 10 ✅

Katie's POV

It's still afternoon when Samuel and I head out.

Although, I am kind of regretting just leaving with Samuel, because ever since we left the fourth floor, everyone has been staring at me. Most weren't the friendly kind either.

Once again I regret telling them we're from the West Clan.

"Don't worry, they won't attack you." Samuel laughs beside me.

I frown at him. Even if he's not trying to insult me, that doesn't make me feel any better. "I'm not worried. It's just...this is the second time I'm leaving Rose and I don't like it."

Which is also the truth.

Samuel looks at me from corner of his eyes. "You know you can't stay by her side forever, right?"

I stare at him and his eyes flicker back to in front of him. Is he trying to say something? I don't reply back to that like I usually would.

The rest of the way we walked in silence.

After for what felt like forever for me, we arrived in a clearing surrounded by tall trees with sprouting a lot of leaves on its thin branches.

I frown at Samuel. "Where are the butterflies?"

Samuel grins mysteriously before he cups his mouth and howls.

Immediately different colored butterflies fall from inside the leaves and flutter everywhere.

My jaw drops in shock. I turn my head here and there when butterflies come close to me. I didn't expect this much! "They're so many!"

Samuel stands to the side watching as I turn every which way in amazement.

"Hold out your hand," he tells me.

I look at him and do what he says, warily.

Not a second later a black butterfly lands on my index finger and I have to calm myself down to not scare it away.

"So this is a butterfly in real life," I say breathlessly, "they look better than my mother's drawing. They're beautiful."

3rd Person POV

Samuel smiles at her and quickly takes out his phone and takes a picture of her. Got to send that to Jack.

He looks up and his smile widens.

Even without her radiating joy, she looks like something painted in museum, a masterpiece.

"Yeah, you are." He says softly.

He can tell she didn't hear him because she holds out her other hand and three more butterflies are there.

Soon her whole body is covered with butterflies, some barely even flying.

Samuel chokes on a laugh at the sight and immediately takes another picture. Then, he can't help but also get it on video.

"Wow! I've never seen the butterflies like that before! It seems their addicted to your Alpha hormones." He chuckles as she freezes.

"I don't know what to do. Samuel! I don't want to hurt them, and I can't see them like this, what do I do?" She begins to panic.

He shakes his head. "Just shake them off! You won't hurt them!"

Katie nods her head and some butterflies there flutter away, she then shimmies and the rest of them flies off her but continue to fly around her.

She twirls along with them and continues to laugh out loud, subconsciously emitting more of her happiness.

"This is so cool!" She screams and she spins the other way and the butterflies follow her.

Samuel watches in amusement. "Do you like them?"

"Like them?" She stops, and the butterflies do too, they flutter in place.

He shivers at how her gray eyes are shining so bright. He could have sworn they were silver for a moment.

"I love them!" And she goes back to twirling and the flying insects join her.

He laughs at them and howls from the happiness she's affecting him with. He just can't hold it in while watching her.

Katie laughs at that and throws her hands in the air and the butterflies fly higher while still following her.

"I've never felt so free!" She yells and she stops spinning.

The butterflies do too and they all slowly flutter to the ground around her feet and she sits down with them still laughing and for the first time tired for just being so happy.

She lies down on the ground and stares up at the branches and leaves, and the sky that is mostly obscured by it.

"I'm free!" She laughs out and she's wondering if she's lost her mind.

Samuel has gone quiet and is still recording her. The scene is so endearing he doesn't have the heart to speak.

"I'm free," she says softly in the lowest voice she's ever used, and the wind carries her words away.

It's nothing but a whisper, but all those of the East Clan have never heard words spoken so loudly than that one sentence.

Whether it'd be from the wind that had carried it for all of them to hear, or her pre-bond that she has made with Jackson to transmit it through the pact mind link which shouldn't be possible, or that her Alpha hormones are strong enough for all of them in the East Clan to feel it-feel how she feels.

'I'm free.'

They all shiver. All the kids, teenagers, adults, elders and even the babies feel it seep into their bones.

Samuel inhales deeply and accidently stops the video.

***

Jackson runs out of the pack house and stands outside with the rest of his members.

They're all looking into the woods staring at the same the direction.

***

Sally is still inside with Rose, frozen in place at those words-that voice! It sounds so familiar! Why?! Who?!

Rose is smiling knowingly at her, but Sally is too shocked to notice at the moment.