Chapter 26 ✅

3rd Person POV

Samuel immediately restrains Katie's hands when her throat bleeds and bruises form.

It doesn't immediately heal because she inflected it and she doesn't want it to heal.

She hates herself for rejecting Jackson. Something in her hates her for it too. Katie thinks it's her wolf, but she's too busy trying to rip out her throat to check.

When she talks, it's of things she doesn't really care about; and when it matters when she's needed to talk, she clams up and doesn't say anything!

"Katie, stop it!" Rose shouts beside her. "You're hurting yourself!"

Katie thrashes around trying to pull herself out of Samuel's grip. She frees one arm and she immediately grabs her chest. She can't breathe.

"Katie? Oh my god! Katie! Breathe! You need to breathe!" Samuel quickly says.

I'm trying! She wants to shout in his face.

Rose throws her arms around her and that seems to work, because Katie's huffing for air and is a sobbing mess while trembling in her embrace. "Shhh~" Rose coos like how Katie had done for her all those times. "Shhh~ It's okay. I'm not going anywhere. I'm right here. Let it all out."

It only makes her cry louder, screaming at the top of her lungs. Rose doesn't push her away, instead she holds her closer.

"What?" Samuel suddenly stares incredulously at Katie. "She accepted Keith," he tells Rose.

Katie is still crying in her arms, but Rose hears him. "She did?"

"She did. He's asking why she isn't down in the kitchen yet, and why she isn't answering him." Samuel frowns, unsure how to reply to him.

Katie calms down, but she doesn't make any sign of moving. Rose looks at Katie and wipes her tears away. "Let's go take a bath okay?"

'Tell Keith that I'm not allowing Katie out for the rest of the day. And I want to be by her side today, just us.' Rose mind links her mate.

Samuel nods in understanding and gives his mate a kiss on the forehead, and squeezes Katie's shoulder for reassurance. She doesn't feel it.

"Call me if she acts up again." He says before leaving.

Rose leads Katie to the bathroom and sets up the bath. She then undresses her and herself and gently guides her friend into the bath. Katie sits in the tub emotionlessly. It pains Rose to see her like this, because she can't read Katie. It's been a while since Katie had completely shut her out. What happened? She wants to ask, but she doesn't know what to do. Katie's never been this vulnerable in her presence.

"I rejected Jackson," she says after ten minutes have passed. "I rejected him." She repeats, and her voice is horse and shallow as she speaks. "I rejected my mate....." she begins crying. "And I just realized I'm in love with him."

Rose heart aches painfully in her chest. She knew Katie had tried to distance herself from him, but she still ended up falling for him. She knows that Katie hasn't changed her mind about the Old World.

Rose is dreading the day she plans to leave, because she wants to stay with Samuel, but she doesn't want to leave Katie's side.

Rose could only hug her, because no words from her can heal Katie's broken heart. Katie has once told her that her mom has always said the only way to heal a broken heart is to fall again until someone catches you.

Katie cries silently in her arms. She doesn't pay any mind to the small cold hands cleaning the grime and blood off her body, only the warmth of the most important person holding her.