Chapter 23 ✅

Katie’s POV

We stop at the front of the entrance as everyone in the lounge stares at us. Okay, it may not be the whole pack, but seriously there are a lot of people in here, enough to make me feel claustrophobic and on guard.

There are pack members who are staring at us questioningly and appalled. Well it’s not surprising since I did try to kill him.

An uncomfortable silence hangs in the air until Trish’s voice makes everyone leave for the diner room.

I can tell most are somewhat sleepy so it’s a surprise when everyone’s suddenly awake by a sweet and amazing smell.

Keith somehow ends up in the front of the line behind a family of three. He waves me over. “What the hell are you waiting for? Get over here!”

Everyone watches me as I make my way to him.

I feel a familiar pair of eyes watching me and when I look over my shoulder to where the speaker is at my eyes meet burning red ones and immediately I look away.

Everyone from last night, except Rose and Samuel, are there. I line up in front of the drooling teenager.

‘Rose? Are you okay this morning?’ I mind link.

‘Katie? I’m fine. Are you?’ I can hear the worry in her voice. ‘I didn’t think you’d want to talk to me today…or I thought you’d avoid me.’

Katie mentally sigh. ‘You really are an air head.’

‘I’m not an air head!’

Are you eating breakfast already?’ Katie asks.

‘Mhm, it’s delicious as always. Thank you.’ She can feel Rose’s smile causing her to smile.

‘Good, if you need anything that Samuel can’t get you, just call for me okay?’

‘Okay!’

I then mind link Samuel. ‘I’ll leave her in your hands today.’

‘Of course,’ Is his immediate response.

“Oi!” A hand is waving in front of my face. “Why are you smiling like a creep?”

My smile drops as I glare at Keith. “I’m not a creep. If anything it’s you. You’re filthy and you’re going to eat.”

Keith then does the elevator eyes to her. “Speak for yourself.”

Katie looks down at her body and sniffs her. She has a few dirt patches here and there and she smells like dirt and fresh grass. She then looks up clearly not offended. “You’re much worse than me though.”

“You—“

“You may all eat,” Jackson’s voice booms over everyone else’s. He doesn’t really do that unless it’s some special occasion. It wasn’t, but he said it anyway because everyone was looking confusedly at him.

They needn’t be told twice. Keith and I grab our food.

Keith has a tray full of food with four plates when we’re done, and I have one tray with a single plate that barely has anything. I follow him as he leads me to a table in the corner near the kitchen door. I would sit with Jackson and them, but not today.

He looks incredulously at my tray. “That’s all you’re going to eat?!”

I look up at him tilting my head to the side a little, “Uh, yeah?”

“No, no, no. No!” He grabs one of his plates and sets it between them. “Here, because I’m so generous and still owe you for the lessons I will share you half of my food on this plate.” He then has the gall to look completely defeated, but resigned to his fate.