Chapter 9 ✅

3rd Person POV

'I'm outside your door. -Katie'

Jackson raises an eyebrow at the text and heads back to the front door, opening it to see Katie in new clothes: black short shorts and a matching black tank top.

His nose twitches when he inhales her scent mixed with the smell of the guest shampoo and soap.

His eyes land on the light brown teddy bear in her arms, so small it's the size of his hand.

"Samuel is sleeping in the bed with Rose. I would have kicked his ass if she didn't look too comfortable, and I will castrate him if he goes any further than spooning her. And...I need a place to sleep." She flushes but doesn't say what she wanted to ask.

Jackson crosses his arms and his other eyebrow raises, waiting.

She flushes more when she realizes he wants her to continue. Instead she spins around ready to leave.

"Oi wait, where you going?" He asks.

"I'm going to crash in his bedroom." She mumbles.

Jackson chuckles lowly at her sudden pride showing and grabs her shoulder, but immediately lets go when she stops because of the sparks.

"Wait," he says and runs a hand through his hair. "You can sleep on my bed."

She doesn't turn around. "And where are you going to sleep?"

"It's only the afternoon, I'm not going to sleep," he says as if it's obvious. "Besides I have Alpha duties to take care of in my office."

Katie turns around and waltz right into his room and throws herself onto his bed sighing in content.

He laughs out loud at how she makes herself at home. "You really are settling in fast."

She pulls the fluffy blanket on top of her and cuddles with her teddy bear into her chest in the middle of the bed.

"Of course," she yawns, tired from eating less ever since she left her Clan to save money to buy healthy food for Rose even if there's more than enough for the both of them. It's never wrong to be cautious.

"You're room is the only place that feels like home...Even though I've never had one..." She finally falls asleep.

Jackson leans against the door frame and watches her. It's endearing how she feels at home here. If only that were true though.

He sighs at the thought and massages his forehead.

He turns back to his office and glances at her one more time before entering to finish up his work.

Don't get too attached Jackson. Just because she's your mate doesn't mean you're mated yet. And you don't love her.

'Not yet.' An unfamiliar voice says in his head.

He stops in his tracks. What the? Who was that?

***

Three hours later Rose eyes snap open full of fear.

Her breathing is ragged and she immediately sits up, crying out in pain when she feels her injury reopen.

Samuel shoots up from the bed at the sound of her shout and the smell of blood.

She doesn't register the warmth his body emits trying to soothe her. All she can think about is the nightmare she just dreamt.

Rose covers her ears and begins crying out louder, more blood dripping out of her wound.