Chapter 4

Jackson’s POV

I sigh in relief when I see the red head curled into my mate’s arms on the bed while they both are lying down.

“We just came to check on you,” I start, “and to introduce ourselves properly this time. I am Jackson, the Alpha of the East Clan.”

Before I can introduce the others they’re already doing it.

“The names Daniel, but you can call me Danny.” Danny points to Jackson. “I’m his Beta.”

Sam stands up straight and proudly introduces his self, “I’m Samuel, but my friends call me Sam, his third-in-command.”

Trish waves her hand at them then points to Danny, “You already know me, and I’m his mate.”

My mate carefully sits up but doesn’t move from the red head’s arms wrapping around her waist.

“I’m Katie,” she says, then gestures to the red head staring at Sam in wonder, “and she’s my friend Rose.”

Katie grabs Rose’s hands and interlaces their fingers causing Sam to pout childishly earning a nudge from Danny. Katie locks eyes with me, “And I’m really thankful for helping her. I am in your debt.”

“No,” I say quickly, continuing on when I see the confusion in the two girls’ eyes, “some of my pack members attacked you of their own will and violation. If anything, I should be thankful that you did not kill any of them and I am the one sorry because I had not properly done my part as the Alpha to control them.” I hold up a hand to stop the others about to disagree, “So you owe me nothing.”

“I could have killed that boy,” Katie replies honestly.

I slightly narrow my eyes at her.

“But you didn’t and it’s all in the past. Just like how if you were really from the West Clan, and now you’re running away, so is all of it. I do not want blood shed if it can be avoided.” I coolly shoot back.

At that, Katie grins and something in me warms.

Suddenly, I realize everyone besides Rose looks taken aback by it. So I guess I wasn’t the only one affected by it.

“Thank you.” Is all she says.

I watch as she looks down at Rose and then frowns, the moment and all the warmth from her smile gone along with it.

“What’s wrong?” She asks.

Rose’s eyes shift to a fidgeting Sam, and Katie follows her gaze and her eyebrows furrow. It makes her look cute.

She looks between the two. “What is it?”

Rose sniffs the air towards Sam’s direction and looks back at Katie dumbfolded. “Don’t you smell that?”

Katie tilts her head. “Smell what?”

“I don’t know…Vanilla and…banana?” Rose sniffs the air like a dog sniffing new territory.

“Banana?” Katie repeats. “Don’t you hate bananas?”

The two girls snap their heads to Danny and Trish as they break out laughing. Nick seems to be holding his in. A smirk, although not noticeable at first, is there on my face as Sam gawks at Rose.

Oh, this is gold.

Katie looks back at Rose before sighing. “Rose,” she says wryly, “It seems your mate smells like the fruit you hate.”

At that Rose gawks too, and now I can’t hold back my own laughter and Katie’s own is like music to my ears.

Nick has the decency to cover his mouth and hold it in.