10: Hospital Pillow Daze

(A/N: I decided to make Ron reader's best friend out of the Golden Trio A) because I haven't read a single fanfic where the best friend isn't Harry or Hermione, and B) He's my favourite character ahaha)
For once, (Y/N) wasn't reading a book as she sat alone in her train compartment (but Jessika had given her some fascinating Bulgarian literature to read for the year), and was instead reading the Daily Prophet for reasons other than seeing 'Opal Hornsby-Umbridge' emblazoned at the bottom. No, she was reading because she was bloody terrified; Sirius Black had, somehow, escaped from Azkaban and was currently most likely running wild. (Y/N)'s fear was quickly picked up on by Amorita, who was on pins for the whole ride; she almost killed a poor first-year trying to keep her owner safe. Realising it was the paper itself making her so terrified, (Y/N) threw it down and decided to go out into the corridor for a second. Hearing Hermione a couple of compartments down was a little relieving, but her attention soon became fixed on the blonde at the end of the passageway. 'No way,' (Y/N) thought to herself, 'No way that's Malfoy.'. She actually felt herself blush deeply as she stared much like Pansy did for a full minute at the now much more mature looking Draco; and then she ducked back into her compartment, trying to pretend she hadn't just done that. She sat back down for mere seconds before falling back in sheer happy confusion; it was like seeing a caterpillar months after it had become a butterfly. Strange, but enticing; (Y/N) slapped herself. 'Stop it, you stupid girl. He's the same person on the inside, after all...' Her young mind continued to wander back to the beautiful blonde and his obviously new black suit. She sighed happily, her face heating up further, and then it all went freezing. The train stopped and (Y/N) went completely and utterly rigid; her first thought was that she was going to die. She very nearly passed out via not breathing as to keep herself hidden from whatever was in the train with them. It opened her door slowly, obviously checking to see if anyone was suspicious in her carriage; and then (Y/N) actually did pass out from not breathing. And this terrified quite a few people. She heard faint voices as she lay unconscious, but she was fairly sure everyone was just ushered to the Great Hall for the sorting ceremony and food. After what felt like minutes but was apparently hours, (Y/N) woke up with a terrible headache and a very empty stomach. Madam Pomfrey sighed slightly as (Y/N) sat up; ''Oh, so you did just pass out. That Malfoy boy was rather adamant it was a Dementor attack, but it so obviously wasn't...'' (Y/N) initially laughed, but then it suddenly hit her; had Draco brought her here? She shook her already painful head quickly. There was no way. ''I, uh, feel a lot better now. Is there still food?'' Without even looking back, Madam Pomfrey shook her head. ''Yes, but I can't let you leave just yet,'' she replied, ''You'll probably go and faint all over again if you go out in your state.'' (Y/N) sighed, but stayed put, not wanting to argue with orders. Next to her sat a cup of orange juice, which she downed heartily, and that eased her hunger a little. She lay there for a while, faintly hearing the chatter from the Great Hall, and after what felt like forever, she saw students piling past. A rather giggly duo came in minutes later; Jessika and Ginny. ''Hello, friend. I'm happy you didn't die...'' Jessika pouted a little at her own comment. Ginny laughed again, ''But you should have seen how determined Malfoy was to be the one who got you here! We all volunteered, but he was so pushy that we just let him go. He was insistent that he just did it because you were in his house, but so's Jessika, so he obviously just wanted an excuse to carry you.'' The two laughed again as (Y/N) went magenta. She secretly wished she'd been conscious while that happened...she shook her head again, causing the two to smirk at her. ''You wanted to be awake when pretty boy was nice to you, yes?'' (Y/N) shook her head fiercely, exclaiming, ''No, of course I didn't! I hate him!'' The two stood up and shrugged, with Ginny adding as she left, ''you keep believing that, (Y/N)!'' (Y/N) stayed bright red for ages after they left. She just couldn't stop thinking about him...eventually, her own thoughts lulled her to sleep in the rather quiet Hospital Wing. She was still rather dizzy and delirious as she woke up the next day, almost falling over as she pulled the curtains closed so she could change. She stumbled around most of her lessons in a daze (and almost killed Pansy with a gone-wrong potion she'd made in her stupor), and actually fell onto the grass as soon as the end of the day came. Everyone appeared to be busy that day, and so she sat on the grass by herself; the only sound she could hear was the gentle hoots of an owl, who landed delicately on her shoulder and dropped a letter for her. Only her father would write to her so late in the day...

''Dearest daughter,I've been summoned by the Ministry this year to do a little around the world trip to Ilvermorny School in America; devilishly exciting, as I almost sent you to study in America, but I'm afraid you'll be spending a lot of time alone with Wisp and Amorita. I've already sent mail to your head of house (I can't for the life of me remember his name, but it was snap card or something like that) explaining that you will be spending every holiday here at Hogwarts, at least for this year. And as for summer, you will be at home by yourself, but I've entrusted the Malfoys with checking up on you; Narcissa was ever so nice in her letters back to me. Truly a delightful woman. Oh! One last little thing; I've already started buying Christmas presents, so can you please try and work out what Draco would like? I can't exactly not buy the son of your family for this year a Christmas present or two.

Love and kindness,C. Silverlie (Also known as your father)''

 The owl blinked annoyedly at (Y/N)'s slow pace over the letter, hooting angrily at the lack of a reward. ''Okay, okay,'' she laughed lightly, ''Here you go.'' She watched the graceful, haughty owl take back off into the air, ready to fly god knows how many miles back to her father. (Y/N) sighed as she lay down on the grass again; time without her father would be lonely, but she supposed that the Golden Trio would stay at school, so it wouldn't be that bad...

''Bloody hell, (Y/N), are you receiving secret letters or something?!'' Ron ran out, quickly throwing himself down beside (Y/N). He exclaimed again, ''They never seem to arrive at breakfast! Are they...written in poisonous ink?'' (Y/N) smirked a little, replying, ''If you don't stop yelling, I'll make sure it's full of spiders next time.'' Ron shivered a little, but then retorted, ''I doubt your prude of a dad would do that to you, (Y/N).'' She blushed a little, replying, ''Well...that's true.'' There was an awkward silence for a minute while Ron revelled in his small triumph, but then he remembered what he actually came to say. ''Oh yeah, I was wondering if you want to go around with us when we get to the first Hogsmeade weekend?'' (Y/N) smiled; she'd forgotten all about that in the midst of her hazy first night back. She nodded quickly, her head quickly going a little misty again; she really must have hit it hard to still be in this state. ''Whoa, don't keel over again! I'm not sure you'd want me carrying you to the Hospital Wing.'' He smirked knowingly. (Y/N) went magenta; up until this point, she was fairly sure Jessika and Ginny were the only people who knew, but apparently not. ''Did...did many people see?'' Ron shook his head, ''Only most of the school.'' (Y/N) cursed Draco's name mentally. She couldn't find the words to reply anymore. She gestured slightly with her hands, dropping her letter onto the grass, but no words formed. ''Are you doing okay there, (Y/N)? Someone...on your mind?'' (Y/N) scowled through her blushes, picking up her now dewy letter and speaking in an angry whisper, ''Yes, in fact there is, but he's on every damn girl in this school's mind too.'' Ron actually looked rather surprised that she'd (albeit subtly) admitted it to him and not either Hermione or Ginny; they were girls, so they'd surely understand more... ''I'm mad, I know I am. But you're rather awkward too,'' (Y/N) chuckled at Ron's offended expression, ''And I felt you'd, well, not give me some spiel about how I'm making a terrible decision...'' She was met with a kind, yet confused expression from her ginger friend. ''You have terrible taste, (Y/N).'' She chuckled a little. ''Not necessarily. I chose you as a friend, didn't I? I must be at least okay.'' He rolled his eyes a little. ''You're completely mad. Absolutely and completely mad...'' (Y/N) sighed and gave him a quick hug as she whispered, ''Not a word of this to anyone, okay?'' She felt Ron nod ever so slightly. The two couldn't help but laugh at each other's awkward expressions as they went their separate ways. (Y/N) yelled once more, ''Not a single word, okay?!'' With a joking sigh, Ron exclaimed, ''No more than what they already know, at least!'' (Y/N) sat back down on the grass with a sigh. After reading over her letter once again, she sighed; how in the world was she supposed to ask someone who hated her what he wanted for Christmas? Luckily it was currently only September, but it was still going to be difficult.

This year was going to be interesting indeed.