47: The Negative

(A/N: This entire chapter is based off of "The Negative" from Waitress; I seriously suggest listening to it while you read, it's linked above uwu)
''(Y/N), are you sure you're okay? You've been in there for an hour now, I can Apparate you home if you want—''
''I'm fine, Opal!'' (Y/N) yelled back, trying hard not to vomit again.
''You know where I am if you need me.''
Opal said, leaving the bathroom and going back to her work; she promised herself to thank Opal afterwards, as she would always end up doing her stupid reports on illegal creature ownership when she was stuck in here.
With a groan, she stared blankly at the still snowy white underwear she wore; there was nothing there, even though there was meant to be over a month ago, and yet her stomach still hurt like hell.
''What in hell is going on,'' she thought aloud, although the scary thoughts were beginning to creep in, and she was fighting to not let them into her words, ''is stress blocking my blood flow or something?''
As she spoke, she felt the nausea sneak back up into her, she was seconds from—
''I managed to get a hold of Isabel,'' Opal yelled, only just heard over the sound of (Y/N) retching, ''she says she'll take you home, but I wish I could accompany you myself--''
''Opal—''
''Go home! You're very obviously ill, dear!''
With a sigh, (Y/N) fumbled to get herself redressed and managed to get the lock undone; she looked like she'd been dragged through a bush backwards when she emerged, her face far paler than usual, minus the dark circles under her eyes.
Opal gently ushered her to wash her hands, and then led her like a kind aunt out of the Ministry; she went to wave as (Y/N) turned the corner to meet Isabel, but she instead hissed, ''do tell me what's causing this when you can, okay?''
(Y/N) could hardly manage a nod before being whisked off by Isabel, completely missing Opal'a insinuation.
~
Isabel dropped (Y/N) off promptly, which wasn't like her, but she explained quickly, ''There's a full moon in a few days. Gotta be prepared.''
(Y/N) accepted this response, and let herself into the house, immediately throwing herself down on the sofa; ''Wiiiiiisp...''
''One second, miss,'' she exclaimed, ''I'm just—''
Amorita sped into the room upon hearing (Y/N)'s voice, and acted like she was making sure (Y/N) was alright before jumping up to rest on her stomach.
Wisp eventually skipped in too, which suggested someone else was here; her theory was correct, and Wisp was followed in by Hermione.
''Oh, uh, hi, 'Mione!'' (Y/N) said, as cheerily as she could, even though she was immensely embarrassed about being seen in this state on the inside, ''shouldn't you be at the Ministry?''
''Yes, but I managed to get a day off,'' she smiled, ''I knew Draco and Isabel wouldn't be around, and I'd spotted Opal trying to get you to come home, so here I am.''
(Y/N) smiled, but her face soon went pale again, and Wisp was running for some sort of container.
Luckily, she was safe from the vomiting this time, but her strength was still sapped from her.
She sighed deeply, her eyes fluttering closed as Hermione and Wisp looked at each other knowingly.
''How long has this nausea been going on, (Y/N)?'' Hermione asked.
''Well...off and on since the wedding I suppose, but it's getting really bad now...''
''Interesting. Any other symptoms you'd like to—''
''Headaches and tiredness and mood swings; I can tell what your alluding to, 'Mione, and I don't want to know!''
Hermione rolled her eyes, handing (Y/N) a cup of water.
''It's better to know, (Y/N).''
With a sigh and an irritated groan, (Y/N) drank as much of the water as she could before feeling sick again.
She rolled over a little, not looking Hermione in the eyes out of annoyance; ''you're being a little childish now, (Y/N); and it is your fault if you are—''
''Don't say it, 'Mione,'' (Y/N) begged, ''Merlin, I'm not ready for something like this, I'm just like my Aunt, making stupid mistakes with pretty boys, oh my stars—''
''Stop it, (Y/N), you're stressing yourself out more,'' Hermione said, trying to reassure her friend, ''just go and take the test. Look, I'll pray it comes out as negative, okay?''
(Y/N) nodded, shuffling into the bathroom as confidently as she could, walking with valour into the most stressful trip to the toilet of her entire life.
Three minutes until she'd know.
''But we were safe, I swear,'' she mumbled to herself, ''at least I think so...''
But she really hadn't been; after the wedding night, there were several more occasions where she ended up exhausted and covered in sweat after...''messing around'' with Draco.
(Y/N) practically crawled back out of the bathroom, Hermione's gentle smile bringing her at least a little bit of hope.
''Isabel would have felt far more confident asking you about this, but, um...were you safe about it? You know...'' Hermione said, looking awkward.
(Y/N) couldn't lie to her.
''No, not in the slightest. Of course, I regret that now...'' she paused, putting everything into perspective.
It wasn't as if she wasn't financially stable; both her own and Draco's families were extremely rich, and they had inherited a good part of that.
Draco worked just down from (Y/N) at the Ministry, too, so even if their families did go broke, he had a solid job.
She had a big enough house to look after a child, probably more than one, even; and she supposed she was mature enough for it, even if she didn't believe herself to be...
''Two minutes to go, (Y/N).''
And with those five words, the beginning of her acceptance crumbled and worries immediately took over again.
''You're not going to desert me after this are you, Hermione?'' (Y/N) asked suddenly, ''because my dad said my aunt lost all of her friends after she became a young mother...''
Hermione looked completely bemused; ''of course not! And I'll make sure nobody else does, either! What kind of awful friends did you aunt have, honestly!''
(Y/N) sighed contentedly, ''what would I do without you, 'Mione?''
Hermione laughed a little.
''I think you'll be a great mother, (Y/N),'' she said, ''even if this thing comes up negative, I'm sure you will be, one day.''
(Y/N) went a little pink; ''stop it!''
She glanced at the clock on the wall; forty seconds to go.
Twenty.
Ten...
A buzzing noise came from the test, and (Y/N) and Hermione stood up to retrieve it from the bathroom; Hermione prompted (Y/N) to take a deep breath.
She reached forward, her hand grasping the white plastic.
She turned it over, her hand shaking like never before...
''Shit.''