48: Unexpected Additions

(Y/N) was currently sitting on the sofa, crying tears of...something as she tried to rack her brain for ways to break the news.

This was a completely unplanned, unexpected turn in her life and she was beginning to go into complete and utter panic over it; she'd been telling herself for years that she'd be a terrible parent, that she'd never have children...

And here she was, sitting on her sofa, with a pregnancy test reading positive.

Wonderful.

''I can't exactly just say 'hey, I was really unsafe and got pregnant far too quickly, here, have a kid', now can I?'' (Y/N) exclaimed, sweating furiously. Hermione rolled her eyes; ''you're overreacting—''

''I have a tiny person inside of me, I think it's okay for me to overreact!''

Hermione sighed, trying to think of something; ''I suppose everyone needs to know, so...perhaps invite them all over? It's still early, I suppose we could even owl them and make the date tonight.''

Wisp immediately lit up with excitement.

''Yes, let's, Mistress Silv--Malfoy!'' she chirped, clapping her hands together a little.

It was like a switch had been flicked in the little elf, and she'd whisked herself away to get the house in order almost instantaneously.

Wisp had been waiting for an opportunity to do something helpful ever since she moved into this house, and she honestly looked far too excited over the prospect of cooking and cleaning.

''Well, I suppose I can't break Wisp's little heart now,'' (Y/N) joked, laughing, ''fine then. But your handwriting is far better than mine, so could you—''

''Of course.''Hermione immediately set to writing letters to all of (Y/N)'s friends to invite them that evening, while (Y/N) herself tried desperately to think of a good way to put what she had to say.

Opal had already told (Y/N)'s Department that she wouldn't be in for a while; she'd had her suspicions for a while, and was sad she and Trixie were far too busy to attend the dinner.

~

Soon enough, night had fallen, and more than a few people sat around the table; Wisp was in her absolute element, and was finally beginning to get over her shyness a little and talk to people.

She truly did love all of (Y/N)'s friends, and although she was shy, she tried her absolute best to be as social as possible.

Unlike (Y/N) herself, who was practically falling apart by the second; with nausea and with stress, trying to script what she wanted to say in her head in a way that didn't sound...well, bad.

(Y/N) kept on very nearly falling asleep, the stress of what she had to say weighing immensely on her mind and making her almost completely unable to function normally.

''Wait until everyone's finished,'' Hermione suggested, whispering, ''perhaps that would be best.''

(Y/N) nodded, and Draco smiled over at her; ''hey, it's rude to whisper, babe.''

''I, uh...yes.''

She smiled, but her face was flushed a little pink, and Draco could tell something was on her mind. She'd excused herself to go to the bathroom over four times now, and Wisp kept on looking knowingly over at her, and yet she wouldn't mention what was up; she was too busy fighting sleep to say much about anything at all, actually, and it was incredibly unusual for her to not talk about anything and everything when friends were around.

Eventually, after what felt like forever, Wisp came over and tugged at (Y/N)'s shirt; ''I think she's a-actually asleep now...''

All attention was on her now; her plate was still full, she'd hardly said anything, she was paler than usual...Luna looked seriously worried, fiddling with (Y/N)'s hair as if it would suddenly wake her up; surprisingly, it did.

''Ah! I'm sorry,'' she exclaimed, ''I'm just stressed and tired and—''

Hermione tutted, ''she's anxious about something she has to tell you all. Especially Draco.''

Her eyes focused on (Y/N), who was still just lifting her head.

''You okay there, (Y/N)?'' Ron asked.

''Yeah, I...right, here it is.''

She breathed in, trying to get at least a little confidence.

It didn't come, and neither did the words.

Instead, she gestured pointlessly with her hands, gaping at the air like a suffocating fish, the embarrassment beginning to set in.

Hermione sighed again, ''you were getting confident about this earlier!''

''It's a difficult thing to say, Mione!''

Everyone was looking at the two girls in complete and utter confusion now, trying to piece together the little things they were yelling.

''Come on,'' Hermione pushed, ''it'll feel a lot better afterwards, I promise—''

''It'll be painful throughout—''

Luna suddenly gasped; she'd managed to piece everything together.

''What?'' Draco asked, exasperated that he appeared to be the only one out of the loop, ''what does she mean?''

Luna stayed quiet; ''you work it out...''

''Hermione, please tell us what's going on,'' Harry asked, a little scared of the two now very close to exploding girls, ''nobody will get angry, right?''

Everyone nodded in unison, and Hermione gestured for (Y/N) to sit herself back down, as it looked as if she might fall back into her seat out of sheer exhaustion if she didn't.

She sighed deeply; ''you know that thing Isabel's been saying for years, Dray?''

''Which one?'' He replied, half joking, half confused.

''The Godchildren one.''

He cocked his head a little in confusion; (Y/N) watched as Harry figured it out, whispering to Ron.

It was a strange game of riddles that were becoming more confusing and convoluted as time went on.

''What about it, (Y/N)?'' Draco asked, ''tell me strai—''

''Well, she might finally be able to actually be one.''

Silence fell, and (Y/N) felt tears brimming as she waiting anxiously for Draco's response; Wisp held tightly onto (Y/N)'s shirt, trying to be supportive.

''Are you...are you saying...?'' 

He stuttered, almost as if (Y/N)'s lack of words had infected him too, like some strange disease.

''Am I saying what, sweetheart?'' (Y/N) asked, her expression a little softer as she looked at the smiling faces all around her.

Hermione looked a lot more relaxed now, too; perhaps because her weird game of riddles and charades had worked, or maybe just because the situation had turned out better than she had expected.

Even if (Y/N) still looked like she was on the brink of a breakdown, she was managing to keep a smile on her face as she waited to see her beloved's response.

''That you're...?''

(Y/N) couldn't wait any longer; she finished his sentence for him.'

'Yes, Draco. I'm pregnant.''