41: Only You

Isabel was never one to cry, and in fact, (Y/N) didn't have a single memory of her properly sobbing for someone; until she saw the only person who brought her true inspiration lying dead in the Great Hall.
(Y/N) hadn't spotted her at first, as she herself had been trying to comfort Ron over the loss of Fred, trying desperately not to let her own tears fall.
'May he rest in peace.'
It was after she'd stood up that she spotted the sobbing mess of blonde, unruly hair, kneeling in a way that made it look like she'd actually fallen into that position.
She was speaking incoherently, her voice too thick with pure sadness to make out anything she was saying; but it made sense after (Y/N) spotted who it was she was kneeling by.
Lupin and Tonks; people she'd often spoken highly of, as if they were the only people older than her that she actually respected.
Ron even mentioned that she'd been near the Order more than once, desperate to gain the respect of a fellow werewolf; and one who was more accepting of the fact than she once was, no less.
And even in the third year, before she was friends with Isabel, she spotted her hanging around Lupin; making notes, most likely hoping desperately that he was someone she could talk to about her life-ruining affliction.
And of course she'd trust and respect people who accepted werewolves; she'd even tried to dye her hair with a weird changing ink to try and look somewhat like a Metamorphagus once, desperate to be...well, the only other person she respected.
''(Y/N),'' she muttered, through tears, ''I...I think I understand why heartbreak hurts you so much...''
She began to play with the spot of her neck that (Y/N) knew bore her bite.
It was like she'd suddenly morphed back into the touchy, friendless little mail-witch (Y/N) only ever saw at Christmas again; the tears wouldn't stop, and she grasped a now sodden envelope in her hands. (Y/N) instinctively held her close; ''they're in a better place now, Isabel, I promise...''
''B-but...''
''Shh...it's going to be okay, I promise...''
''But...I...''
Her tears began to choke her up immensely, and suddenly, someone else knelt down beside them.
Draco.
''Y-you...go away!'' she exclaimed, letting her distrustful nature show, ''you're...nothing to...''
(Y/N) looked him dead in the eyes, mouthing, 'say it'.
Draco sighed, knowing he was going to sound like a five-year-old; ''you're (Y/N)'s best friend, Isabel, and, uh...you're my friend too. Isabel's Friendship Club...'' he gagged a little on the inside, ''remember?''
Isabel looked up, tears glistening on her blue eyes; ''shut up...'' But her eyes were a little more forgiving now.
(Y/N) nodded, and then Isabel asked, ''Um, could I have a moment? Sorry to, uh, kick you to the kerb...''
''No, it's completely understandable,'' (Y/N) responded, ''take as much time as you need.''
(Y/N) stepped away from the now more composed Isabel, gesturing for Draco to follow her.
As soon as they were a little away from her, (Y/N) asked, ''are you going back to them, Draco?''
He paused for a second; her tone didn't suggest anything about what response she wanted. But it was obvious that she wasn't quite as accepting of his status, not after...not after it had made someone close to her cry.
And she still didn't know how Harry was.
''I...I don't—''
''Give me a definitive answer.''
Her eyes were a little more hurt now, but her expression was still unreadable.
''I have to.''
''Liar.''
(Y/N) turned to face him now; ''if your heart was strong enough, you'd choose to stand with us now. But instead, you choose what is needed of you.''
''(Y/N), please—''''Your people have killed my best friend's inspiration. I was fine to accept that you were a Death Eater when the façade was vital, but now...Merlin, I was stupid to not be completely enraged at you!''
She exhaled, trying desperately to calm down even a little.
''You could stand with us.''
''I can't, (Y/N), listen to me!''
''No,'' she exclaimed, ''You listen to me for once! I heard about what happened in the Room of Requirement; you only spared Harry's life because Voldemort wanted you to, not because you were being nice for once! I—I was fully accepting, because I thought you'd leave those I love alone; I knew that's what was expected of you! But there are people who don't have to die—''
''This is a war, (Y/N), people die!''
''But you don't have to be the one who kills them, Draco!'' (Y/N) yelled back, her face now exasperated, the lack of sleep showing on it.
Perhaps her tiredness was feeding her anger; perhaps it was the situation.
But it didn't matter, it hurt all the same.
She stormed off in a different direction, out of sight; and Draco heard a sound much like a dog from a little while away, but a softer voice spoke.
''Please, don't put more pressure on the poor darlin'; she ain't slept in days, and she's stressed about lil' Potter...''
''Doesn't make Draco any less of an ass!'' yelled Isabel, still extremely teary.
''And you're sad an' tired too, 'Bel, let him go.'' Anneliese flicked her hair over her shoulder a little, her chocolate eyes focused on Draco's.
''Do what you've gotta do, honey, she's not really mad,'' she rolled her eyes, ''trust me, she slept with your robes for days. That's not the kinda girl that leaves easy.''
Draco sighed, and whispered, ''are you completely sure?''
''Absolutely positively.''
Draco made a noise of relief, and then Anneliese said, ''stay with us tonight, hun. I'd love to get to know what she sees in you.''
She laughed heartily.And so he did; he spent time getting to know Anneliese, at least, when he wasn't getting his head bitten off royally by Isabel, who refused to believe (Y/N) was unprovoked.
It was a very strange evening indeed, but Draco was too worried about what was to come to say much at all.
~
''Wake up, wake up, everyone!'' yelled Anneliese, her tone frantic.
''Wh-wha-''
''They're back, Isabel! Come outside!''
Isabel shot up with a start, kicking Draco hard in the shin in order to get him to move. They were outside in record time, but that wasn't important; what was important was that she was there.
Standing right next to Luna Lovegood.
So he made sure to stand nearby, even if (Y/N) did ignore his presence.
Voldemort stood opposite the Hogwarts people, what was left of his army surrounding him.
And close by was Hagrid, holding a body.It was all too obvious who it was.
''Harry Potter is dead!'' Voldemort announced.
His followers laughed; stood there and laughed about the death, the merciless slaughter of a truly amazing person.
Draco watched (Y/N) shiver.
''Now, join me,'' he exclaimed, ''those of you who want to join me, step forward!''
(Y/N) was subconsciously scouring the crowd for her mother; but she'd probably already perished back at Malfoy Manor.
Because these disgusting people probably didn't even help their own kindred...
''Draco!'' came a voice.
Lucius Malfoy's voice.
Draco felt (Y/N) physically step back ever so slightly upon hearing that.
''Don't go,'' she whispered ever so quietly, ''please...''
His eyes were on his parents, but his heart was focused on (Y/N)'s words.
She sounded so crushed, as if everything but her physical body was completely dead...
''Draco. Come.''
It was his mother that swayed him; he walked over to the crowd of Death Eaters, leaving her alone and unwanted yet again.
Merlin, was he was terrible.
He only saw a glimpse of her heartbroken, completely lost expression as he passed her by, but that was enough to make an imprint on his mind forever.
(Y/N) closed her eyes as she saw Voldemort begin to embrace Draco.
She didn't see him get hugged by his mother, either; she had her eyes shut for a reason.
She was trying desperately not to cry again.
Draco fiddled with the miniscule book pages in his pocket, tears pricking at his own eyes now.
The only thing that swayed (Y/N)'s gaze was Neville stepping forward.
''Well, I must say, I had hoped for better.'' Voldemort said.
Voldemort and his followers laughed like the truly evil people they were.
''I'd like to say something,'' Neville said.
''I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say.''
''It doesn't matter that Harry is gone,'' Neville began, ''people die every day! Harry's still with us in our hearts! And so is everyone else who died. Fred, Lupin, Tonks. Well we lost Harry tonight. But don't let that be in vain!''
Draco watched as (Y/N)'s posture became more confident as Neville spoke; she was quite obviously inspired by his words, as she'd opened her eyes, now far from tears.
It was the most beautiful speech she'd ever had the joy of listening to.
But then, Harry began to move in Hagrid's arms.
He wasn't dead.
He got onto his feet, shocking everyone in the vicinity, Death Eaters and Hogwarts warriors alike.
Voldemort couldn't quite catch Harry; Draco watched as a tiny smile began to blossom on (Y/N)'s face.
Many Death Eaters began to retreat, angering Bellatrix to no end.
Among this number were three blondes.
They'd realised what was about to occur, and they were running away; Narcissa had her arm around Draco's shoulder, and none of them turned back.
Was it cowardly to retreat? Yes.
But was (Y/N) going to yell at Draco for this? No.
Even though Isabel was insistent that she 'punch the life out of his stupid body', she wouldn't.
They'd all made their mistakes, (Y/N) and Draco especially; and she wasn't going to punish other people for them.
Instead, she was going to fight.
She was going to keep everyone safe if it was the last thing she ever did.