35: Christmas Memoir

Formal Christmas parties weren't the type (Y/N) really liked; she usually just bought a lot of sweets and messed about with Isabel, and that was their Christmas 'party'. 

But instead here she was, at Slughorn's Christmas party, wearing a beautiful dress that Trixie actually handmade as an early Christmas present and standing next to Blaise Zabini; they'd both agreed that they'd come as acquaintances, not dates, so the evening actually wasn't too bad. 

''So your father's completely away from your mother now?'' Blaise asked, on the subject of how (Y/N) had even gotten into this club,''Yes, he actually split from her in my first year, but...well, she came back.'' (Y/N) replied, sighing.

''She's a pretty woman though, your mother. Shame her personality's not as attractive.'' Blaise said quietly; (Y/N) had been warned in advance that he could be vain, so she ignored this.

''Not really; but then again, most people don't think of their parents as attractive...'' (Y/N) mused, mostly to herself.

Realising that the conversation had dropped off, (Y/N) cautiously bit into her apple, not wanting to wipe off the already very minimal makeup she had on off. Conversation seemed to be a very minimal thing with Blaise, so she had time to think about Christmas; Isabel said her presents were already on their way (as they were coming from America), and her father was currently trying to work out how he could even get gifts without being killed (although (Y/N) said she was fine without them).

Suddenly, the noise in the main part of the party died down a little; Filch had walked in, dragging Draco along with him.

''Found this one roaming around,'' Filch said, ''claims to have been invited to your party.''

Draco was desperately trying to escape Filch's clutches, exclaiming, ''Okay, okay, I was gate-crashing!''

From (Y/N)'s perspective, Snape stepped from practically nowhere, saying in his usual drawl, ''I'll escort him out.''

''Certainly, Professor.''

(Y/N) sighed, instinctively trying to follow; but Blaise caught her hand. ''Do you want detention, Silverlie?'' he asked.

(Y/N) sighed, ''No. I was being stupid, I just—whatever.''

Blaise gave a tiny cough of disapproval, and (Y/N) removed herself forcibly from his already very weak, easy to escape grasp.

She walked into the middle of the room for seemingly no reason, and then sighed; ''I'm going to...have a bath or something...''

She left without another word to Blaise.

~

Anneliese and Lucien Treasura had been sitting next to Draco when (Y/N) entered the common room after an hour or so in the bath, but they were gone in seconds, showing that something was definitely up.

Draco ushered (Y/N) to step outside before she spoke.

''Good evening, Draco,'' (Y/N) said quietly, ''do...do you want to—''

''I can't do this anymore.'' Draco cut her off.

''What do you—''

''This. Us. You're so special to me, to so many people...I can't just keep you. It's too dangerous.''

''It's not,'' (Y/N) exclaimed, ''I promise, I'll do anything, just—''

''No, we can't. I'm a danger to you, it's...it's over! I can't keep you safe—''

(Y/N) slapped him across the face, her tears spilling over. ''Coward,'' she whispered, ''Coward!''

She continued to cry; ''I explained that I'm not scared, that I don't care, and yet you'll still trample all over my heart for the sake of my ''safety''?!''