22: Trial of Champions

(Y/N) had been awake for almost two hours, but she'd decided to rest for the morning. A few books by a Jacoba Cherrywell lay abandoned and well-thumbed on the floor; they almost tripped (Y/N) up more than once after she decided it probably was time to get ready for her day.

 Or rather, the day.

The second trial was upon them, and she was still angry at herself for not helping more; although Hermione was completely enraptured by the notebook of merpeople facts she'd put together. She actually kept it.

With a sigh, she slipped into her shoes (being careful to avoid accidentally putting on Isabel's fluffy monstrosities that looked an awful lot like Amorita sometimes), and pulled on a relatively warm jumper that wasn't too bad looking.

She made a mental note of the one that had disappeared from the wardrobe; it was almost definite that Isabel was wearing it.(Y/N) spent mere seconds over her hair; they were just going to stare at a lake for an hour, why would she need to look good?

She practically fell from her dorm room door, her head filled with worry and excitement. Amorita was adamant that she was coming too, but then she stopped dead. That could mean one of two people was coming up to her. 

''You're not scaring me, Pansy.'' 

''In your own words, (Y/N),'' came the familiar voice, ''I'm not Pansy!'' 

(Y/N) sighed in relief, which worked as an alert for Amorita to not kill Draco. (Y/N) laughed gently, ''How can you prove that, huh?'' 

Kisses ensued. 

''Is that enough proof for you?'' said Draco, smirking. 

''Perhaps...''

(Y/N) leaned in to kiss him again, but, as usual, Isabel appeared from seemingly nowhere. 

''Hey, uh, I can't find Ron and Hermione. They told me to meet them, but—'' 

(Y/N) was out of the door in seconds, with Isabel and Draco struggling to keep up with her. She was talking to herself rather frantically.

''Merpeople keep humans captive sometimes, but perhaps that's just for the competition...they could be dead! Or they could be having a better time than me...'' 

Isabel would usually be the one to tell her she was being delusional, but instead, she nudged Draco.

''Your time to shine, bucko.'' 

After glaring at Isabel for her stupid nickname, he approached the now very stressed (Y/N).

''I promise you, they're okay. I doubt the school would just let students die—''

''I think Moaning Myrtle would like a conversation with you, Malfoy!''

''Yeah, but that was years ago—''

''I don't want to lose anyone else, Draco! Jessika was taken from me, and I'm still not—I'm still not—'' 

It was like the Yule Ball all over again.

It was quite obvious that the lack of sleep and constant stress was beginning to take its toll. 

Now was the time to act.

No kisses, no words...

He just held her. He held her the way he'd always wanted to...

Isabel was tearing up now, too; she'd known how much the two liked each other from their first year. She'd delivered their strangely romantic Christmas cards, after all, so watching the usually extremely spiteful boy hold her like this...