18: Dear Miss Silverlie

All of the rather surly looking Slytherins were gathered in a random room; (Y/N) was next to Isabel, who was next to Pansy, for some reason. The two looked as if they'd had some huge argument over something, and Isabel's usually playful blue eyes were glazed over with tiredness; Pansy looked as if she was about to kill someone. But both of them were looking over at Draco, who was sitting on the boys' side of the hall, with completely undetectable reasons. (Y/N), however, was more bothered about why they were all gathered in the middle of when lessons should be.

 ''None of us want to be here today, but I'm afraid that it's...'' drawled Snape, in his annoyingly drone of a voice, ''Compulsory.''

There was a collective sigh.

''It's Tri-Wizard tradition for a Yule Ball to be held on the night of Christmas Eve. It's a very formal dance...''

That was around the point that (Y/N) zoned out, and the only other thing she caught was ''I'll be picking two volunteers now.'' Isabel was jolted back into reality too, almost tumbling straight forward into a group of seventh year girls. ''Ah, our house's favourite incompetent witch. Miss Deimos, if you would.''

Isabel growled under her breath as the girls she'd almost fallen on laughed, but not as loudly as Pansy. None of the boys really wanted to volunteer before, but the chosen girl being Isabel made it even worse. ''I suppose you need someone more...'' Snape paused, ''Competent to keep up with you. Mr. Malfoy, please join—''(Y/N) heard no more of that sentence over Pansy yelling, 'Life-ruining, man-stealing half-breed!'

Isabel shot a look pure spite over at Pansy, and surprisingly, she proved to be a rather great dancer; having Draco and Isabel as an example for how well they were supposed to dance was setting people up for failure.Especially as (Y/N) and Pansy weren't really watching.

They were pretending that they were in Isabel's place; that they were the ones who got to hold his hands, and the ones getting lifted like that... 

''You're every bit as jealous as I am, aren't you, furball?''

''You know what, Pansy? Yes I am.''

''Well you'd better get used to it. Because I'm the one going to this Yule Ball with him.''

''It isn't who you go to the ball with, it's who you leave with, Miss Parkinson.''

''Ugh! You have Weasley! Just take him—''

''Why in Salazar's name would I want to romance a guy I consider a brother, Pansy? Oh, wait, I forgot. Purebloods just love incest, don't they?''

''Shut up! You're Pureblooded too!''

(Y/N) went silent, sick of arguing; instead, she went back to focusing on the dance. Merlin, she wished she could dance like Isabel...

Spin after spin was effortless...

And then she fell up the stairs on the way back, causing Pansy and all of her posse to completely lose it laughing. (Y/N) pulled Isabel up swiftly, exclaiming, ''How in the world can you dance like that?'' Isabel blinked. ''I'm no better than you are, chica. You were just dumbfounded by who I was dancing with.'' 

(Y/N) went scarlet; now she thought about it, that probably was the case. Most Pureblooded children received dance lessons, after all...

~

Soon enough, people were scavenging dates like rats scavenged for food. Isabel was asked by a Ravenclaw named Ben Amalthea. They'd apparently been friends for years, and Isabel practically cried as she said yes so many times that you'd swear they were getting married. (Y/N), however, wasn't asked by anyone; it was rather painful to watch Isabel and Ben generally looking adorable together in the run up to the ball.