36: The Astronomy Tower

''How old are you, furball? Stop carrying that stupid thing everywhere!'' Pansy exclaimed, trying to rip the bunny from (Y/N)'s lap.
She didn't respond; she didn't have the energy to. She kept reading, the words on the page nothing but pointless noise now; nothing was enjoyable anymore.
She'd heard about the Death Eater attack on the Weasley's house over Christmas, and about how her mother had been sighted near Agate Avenue days before term began. She didn't try anything, but that didn't make the reality any less terrifying.
''Are you mute now? Talk to—''
''Please stop, Pansy, dear. The poor darlin' has been through enough.'' Anneliese responded, her expression practically begging.
''Since when do I listen to—''
''Silencio.''
Muttered Anneliese, her wand pointed at Pansy's throat.
(Y/N) didn't see it, but Anneliese nodded at all of Pansy's friends, as if telling them to stay quiet about (Y/N), too.
(Y/N) didn't have the breath to say thank you, or even the energy to move; not even Amorita had the strength of will to go and annoy Pansy.
So (Y/N) kept reading.''All my heart is yours, miss;'' came the voice, changing the line it was reading to fit a purpose, ''it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever.''
(Y/N)'s book slipped from her hands in surprise, and her heart leapt a million miles; but she was too stunned to respond.
That was the voice she'd been longing to hear, but also dreading.
She could have cried when he sat down next to her.
She could finally reach out and touch his soft skin again...
''Go away, Malfoy.''
She turned away, burying her face in her book yet again. She was strong, she wouldn't cry.
She wouldn't cry, she wouldn't cry, she wouldn't...
''I was stupid to think you needed protecting, (Y/N),'' Draco said, his voice teary, his hand reaching to touch the tangled, unbrushed hair that hung so tiredly from her head, ''you're a capable girl, I've always known that; but I lied to myself, and to you. I know I don't deserve forgiveness, but—''
''You're damn right you don't!'' (Y/N) yelled, turning around, ''what you deserve is...is to choke on a...spoon or something!''
She was crying, tears streaming down her face, ''I don't want to forgive you, stop being so nice, you don't deserve it, you—''
Almost subconsciously, she'd thrown herself forward onto his chest, crying intensely.
She punched his side; not hard, but hard enough to prove her point.
''If you ever do that again, I'll...I'll...I'll get really angry!''
She was almost inaudible anyway, but her lack of powerful words just went to show how completely enveloped with emotion she was.They didn't speak any more, but the sheer amount of tears they were shedding were enough.
(Y/N) knew this wouldn't be the end of...whatever this was, and she knew another storm was yet to come, but she didn't care anymore.
Even if he wasn't here physically, just knowing he might, through some tiny chance, be thinking of her when he was away...
That was enough to keep her going for now.
~
While the days were far from peaceful, (Y/N) found that she was a little more at peace within herself now that she had Draco back, even if it was for a fleeting period of time.
She knew their time together was going to be short; something big was going to happen at Hogwarts, she just knew it, be it intuition or reading the signs.
Soon enough, a day began to feel like it lasted a second; there was never enough time to get things done anymore, there was never enough time to just sit around in the common room and do anything they pleased...
Hour by hour, day by day, time passed; until the faithful night was upon them.
(Y/N) had felt uneasy all day, and she wasn't able to sleep that night; so she stood at her window, the gentle breeze blowing her hair out of her eyes as she gazed at nothing in particular, the silence soft and greatly appreciated.
But it was broken by the sound of someone creeping around near the boys' dorms.
She knew all too well who it was, but she didn't say a word; instead, she too left the dormitories, catching his eye and seeing a million things.
It wasn't usual to walk around a school this late dressed in a black suit; he was going to do something. (Y/N) sat at the top of the staircase, watching as Draco made his way to, most likely, the Astronomy Tower.
''Someone's dying tonight, aren't they?'' (Y/N) whispered to herself, wanting more than anything to run down the steps to see exactly what was happening.
Loud noises soon came from the Great Hall; it sounded very much like glass and china being smashed, along with windows, maybe. The sounds of crying could be heard; even if it was from a while away.
That was what finally urged (Y/N) to move; she rushed down the stairs, running like a madwoman over to the Astronomy Tower.
She couldn't quite see anything through the growing crowds, but the whispers and shocked remarks told her everything.
Dumbledore was dead.
War was coming.
The Dark Mark proudly emblazoned in the sky made (Y/N) sick to her stomach.
Starting with Professor McGonagall, everyone raised their wands, the light that illuminated from them banishing the abhorrent mark from the sky.
(Y/N) left the scene as quickly as possible; she very, very nearly vomited out of pure fear and anxiousness when she got back to her dorm room.
Anneliese sat shaking on her bed, tears streaming down her face.''Times ain't good, a-are they, (Y/N)?'' she mumbled.
''No, they aren't,'' (Y/N) replied, instinctively hugging the poor girl, ''but we'll get through it, I promise you.''
She was lying.
She couldn't get through this; not while she knew that she was up against the boy she loved.
The boy who'd made her smile, made her cry, laugh, everything...
She couldn't smile anymore.
Not while she knew Draco Malfoy was her enemy.