Bucky||promise

1940s Bucky

////

"Come on doll, we gotta get to the docks" Bucky said, smiling at me as I hesitantly walked out of the house.

The drive was quite enjoyable, Bucky insisting I sing along to every song that came on the radio with him.

I pulled into a parking lot at the docks where hundreds of men, women and families stood around, some crying while children ran around laughing. Before I could even get out of the car Bucky had gotten out and ran around to the other side, opening the door for me and offering his hand to help. "Why thank you" I smiled as Bucky smiled and blushed slightly. He hooked his arm through mine as we walked over to where everyone else was standing in front of a ship. "I do have to say, you look very handsome in that uniform" I smiled up at Bucky as he smiled more, trying to hide a bright red blush rising on his cheeks.

Bucky walked me over to some people in uniform and talked to them and singed or wrote something down on paper. He walked back over me, hooking his arm back through mine and pushing past some people to get to the side of the ship. "The ship doesn't leave until ten minutes so we've got a bit of time" Bucky said, grabbing my hands. Suddenly he got down on one knee and pulled a ring from his pocket. I gasped and put my free hand over my mouth, tears starting to stream down my cheeks. The people around us gasped and smiled, creating a little circle around us.

"Y/n y/l/n I love you more then anything. I know I'm about to go away to war for a while but I couldn't leave if I didn't do this. Will you marry me?" Bucky asked, looking up at me with hope filled eyes. I nodded, unable to say anything from the sobs caught in my throat. "Of course" I managed to choke out. Bucky had a huge smile on his lips as he slipped the ring onto my finger. He stood up and grabbed me by the waist, pulling me close and kissing me. The crowd around us clapped and cheered, making me smile into the kiss and pull away. "You can't do anything without creating a crowd can you?" I asked Bucky, looking at him, smiling shyly. "You know me doll" Bucky answered, kissing my lips once more.

"Everyone on the 107th boarding in two minutes!" Someone called over a microphone. "That's me" bucky said, standing up straight and adjusting his uniform. I adjusted his tie and brushed over his shoulders. "Aw look. You're pants are dirty now" I pouted, looking at the wet marks on his knee. "Oh well, it was for a good cause" Bucky shrugged.

"Promise me something James" I said, looking into his eyes. "Anything doll. What is it?" Bucky said, looking back into my eyes. "Promise me... promise me you'll be back after this all finishes" I said, trying not to cry. "I promise. When this finishes and I get back, we'll have the wedding" Bucky said, wiping a stray tear that was rolling down my cheek. I smiled and nodded.

Bucky pulled me into his chest and hugged me. I wrapped my arms around him, putting my head in the crook of his neck, trying not to get tears on his uniform. I pulled away and kissed him passionately. Bucky pulled away and looked into my tear filled eyes. "I'll be back doll. I love you" he said, wiping a few more tears. "I love you too" I smiled, Bucky returned the smiled and kissed my lips once more before running onto the ship before he missed it.

I stood back and waved for as long as I could see him.

He'll be back

- three years later -

I sat on the couch, ready to turn on the tv but there was a knock at the door. I got up and walked to the door, opening it to a man in uniform. "Oh hello. What can I do for you?" I asked with a smile. "This letter is for you" the man answered, handing me a letter. I took the letter from his hands, confused at what it could be "Oh ok, thank you" I smiled. The man returned the smiled and walked away. I closed the door and started walking back to my couch as I opened the letter. I stopped to read it

Dear y/n y/l/n,

We regret to inform you that James B Barnes has been killed.
He fell from a train on a mission with Steve Rogers while trying to destroy
HYDRA equipment.

We are incredibly sorry for your loss.

Condolences,
Chester Phillips

I finished reading and my stomach dropped as tears started streaming down my face and sobs escaped my mouth. My vision went blurry from the tears and I stumbled against a wall and slid down it to the floor.

I cried harder and threw the paper aside, pulling my knees to my chest and crying into my knees.

I cried until my throat hurt and no more tears would come. Hiccups escaped my lips as I continued to cry, even though no more tears would come.

"YOU PROMISED JAMES!" I screamed, the sound echoing around the room.

"You promised" I said softer. I lied on the floor and screamed and cried, not caring if the neighbours heard me.

He promised