Stucky||war stories

////

One down, many more to go. After destroying the first of many HYDRA bases, the howling commandos walked into a bar to celebrate their first victory with Peggy.

Within the very crowded bar, they found a free table and sat down, ordering drinks in the process. Steve knew he couldn't get drunk and neither could Bucky from the testing Zola did on him only hours prior but still ordered the drinks, not really caring.

After just over 2 hours of being in the bar, everyone but Steve, Bucky and Peggy were drunk off their asses, singing along and very out of tune to whatever the piano guy was playing as the 3 sat and watched them. Bucky eventually joined after declaring Steve wasn't any fun for not singing with him.

They stayed in the bar for a few more hours and it was now almost 1 am, they were the only ones in the bar at this point apart from one bar tender and some guy who had fallen asleep or maybe he'd been knocked out, no one knew.

Somehow they had now ended up sitting at the table, telling their best stories. It got to Buckys turn and he decided he'd go with the classic story of Steve throwing up at Coney Island. "When Steve was little and fragile, I took him to Coney Island for his birthday. I somehow persuaded him or maybe I did it against his own will but I managed to get him on the cyclone, the biggest ride there. He went on it, screamed the entire time and then when he got off, he threw up everywhere" Bucky smiled, patting Steve's shoulder and taking another mouthful of beer.

"Whats Coney Island? Is it an island? I didn't know they were islands in New York" one of them drunkenly questioned as Bucky laughed and shook his head. "No, no, no. It's an amusement park in New York. It's a few miles from Brooklyn" Bucky answered.

"Oh right. Peggy, your turn" Peggy thought for a few seconds before thinking of a good one. The story of Steve jumping on a dummy grenade while training. "Oh yes. I've got a good one. James, you'll like this" Peggy smiled as Steve looked at her confused and looked over to Bucky who shrugged. "So, before Steve got the serum, he was training at an army base in New Jersey. It was my job to train them and turn them from princesses into soldiers-" Peggy stopped, being interrupted by Bucky spitting out his beer from laughing. "Shut up buck" steve said, crossing his arms. "Anyway, while training them, the kernel threw a dummy grenade. Everyone ran and took cover but Steve was the only person who didn't. He jumped on it, waiting for it to blow up. He put his life on the line to make sure no one else died" Peggy finished her story.

Steve smiled but didn't want to look up, he could already feel Buckys death glare. Peggy went to say it was Steve's turn but the bar tender started talking before she could. "I'm closing the bar up in five minutes. It's almost 2 am. Thought I'd just let you know" the bar tender said, everyone nodded and stood up, some of them falling back over from the amount of alcohol they'd taken in. Getting them back to the tents was going to be a nightmare for Steve and Bucky. Peggy called over a taxi and got 3 of them in to take to the base, leaving Bucky and Steve with the others.

Steve and Bucky eventually got them back, taking them to their tents before going to their own. The walk back to their tent was silent, neither of them wanting to have an argument in the open, they'd rather do it in their tent.

Once they got there, Steve flopped down onto the bed he shared with Bucky. They chose to have a smaller tent that only fit the 2 of them. They liked their tent but it wasn't exactly enough room for 2 mattress, even though the mattresses were thin, to fit in so they shared a big one. Bucky lied next to him, putting his hand behind his head.

"So, the grenade story huh?" Bucky said, Steve's didn't respond and kept his eyes on the top of the tent. "Yeah" steve answered simply, not really knowing what else to say. "Why did you jump on it? Why didn't you take cover like everyone else?" Bucky asked, sounding more calm then Steve thought he would be. "I don't know. I guess I'd rather just risk my life and take whatever happens rather then let it possibly kill nine other people and blow up three other cars and know I could've done something" steve shrugged, still not looking away from the tent roof.

Buckys sighed and propped himself up onto his elbows to get a better view of Steve's face. Steve took his eyes off the roof and looked at Bucky. Both of them just looked at each other for a few minutes. It wasn't awkward, it was peaceful actually.

Bucky moved, laying across Steve, his head on Steve's chest, listening to his heartbeat. He closed his eyes as Steve ran his hand threw Buckys hair, kissing his head a few times.

"I love you punk" Bucky mumbled, putting his head in he crook of Steve's neck. "I love you too jerk" Steve responded, kissing Buckys cheek.

They fell asleep in each other's embrace, knowing they had to get up in a few hours to continue the war but for now they were happy they had each other. All they ever needed was each other.