11| i was not asking you out on a date

Jungkook—

I licked my ice cream, and leaned against the cold railing. Taehyung hissed at the icy wind, and moved his fingers against the cup of his hot chocolate. "I don't understand how you can eat ice cream in fifty degrees," he muttered, against chattering teeth. I just shrugged, and grinned, "I'm the best at everything that I do." He snorted, and took a sip of his hot chocolate, "full of our self, aren't we?"

"Oh, very."

Comfortable silence enveloped us, as we consumed our desserts. I watched a red leaf fall to the ground, and smiled, slightly. I liked the cold weather and the color that fall from the trees and fill the streets. It was one of the few things that could make me forget about everything and close my eyes and just sit still. The calming sound of the wind rattling the branches of trees and the crunching of the leaves that fall to the pavement. It was all so peaceful.

Taehyung huffed, and leaned his back against the railing, and looked up into the sky. Gray clouds had begun to form a gigantic wall, separating us from the light of the sun. "It looks like it'll rain, soon," he remarked. I nodded, and finished off my cone. "Looks like it'll be a heavy one, too."

The elder turned his head to look at me, and opened his mouth to immediately close it again. I raised an eyebrow, "what is, hyung? I know you want to say something. What is it?" The silver-haired boy averted his gaze, and bit the inside of his cheek. "Come on, spit it out, already," I urged. He frowned, slightly, before looking back up at me.

"Um, when the weather gets warmer and things begin growing again, do you...uh...want to go see the cherry blossoms with me?"

My eyes widened, and he immediately turned his head away, cheeks flushing crimson. A smirk formed on my lips, and I wrapped an arm around his shoulders. "Did you just ask me out on a date, Kim Taehyung?" He ears flashed pink, and he shrugged my arm off. "Tch, yeah right. I was just inviting you to come with me and see the cherry blossoms. I was not asking you out on a date."

I only grinned, and reached over to pinch his chin, between my thumb and pointer finger. I tilted his head, so that he was looking at me, again, and nodded. "I'd love to go see the cherry blossoms with you." A soft smile crawled up Taehyung's face, making my heart skip a beat. I loved the way he was affecting me, but it hurt so much. Everything about him and everything that he does makes me fall even deeper; and as I fall, another piece of my heart chips off and gets sucked into the black void of reality.

I can only last for so long, pretending that this fantasy was real. That there was a sliver of a chance that he loved me back. No. He didn't love me back. How could he after everything that I've done to him? He only pitied me.

A pang went thought my heart at the thought. Taehyung must feel really bad for me, to be my friend again, and to help me out with my condition. I must be a big burden. "Taehyung, if you ever feel like I'm being too much, feel free to correct me." His eyes swiveled to me, as he drank his hot chocolate. "You're never too much, Jungkook." I nodded, trying to keep my voice calm, "yeah...but if you ever feel like I am, tell me, okay? Promise?"

He considered me, before nodding slowly.

"You have my word."

Taehyung—

I knew why he was pressing for me to promise him that. His anxiety was rising again, and I could practically see it rolling off of him in waves. Hesitantly, I wrapped an arm around his shoulders, and pulled him closer to me. "Calm down, Kookie. Breathe. That's it, breathe."

He took in deep, shaky breaths, through his nose, and closed his eyes. Slowly, it seemed like he was calming down, and I smiled. "Better?" Jungkook nodded, keeping his eyes closed. "Y-yeah, thanks Taehyung." I slid my fingers into his hair, and tilted his head, so it was resting on my shoulder. "I hope you know that I never found you burdensome and that you're never too much. Not everything is your fault, Kookie."

The younger sighed through his nose, and he nodded. "I know, hyung. It's just the anxiety talking again." I pursed my lips, feeling my heart rip apart. Jungkook, you poor boy.

There was no denying it, I was falling deeper for him. Or perhaps, I was already falling, and I'm just continuing that long trek to the bottom. The bottom, where only loneliness and disappointment awaited me. There was no way that he could like me back. How could he when he never did?

Shoving those depressing thoughts away, I nudged the younger. "Let's go back to my house, before both of us a catch a cold." He nodded, eyes drooping sleepily. I cooed at the sight. He looked like a cute little bunny.

Slowly, we made our way back to my apartment, with the wind whispering through our clothes and tossing our hair.

Jungkook stumbled over the doorstep and almost tripped and face-planted, before I caught him. "Are you always like this? Or should I be worried if you caught a fever?" He mumbled a bunch of gibberish, before saying, "I don't want you worrying about a little piece of shit like me." That made me frown, and I swooped down to pick the younger up, bridle style. "You're obviously not well, so I'm going to assume that you're sick."

I kicked the door, to my room, open with my foot, and carried Jungkook to the bed. "No, no, no, where will you sleep?" He muttered, pushing at my arms, as I yanked off his shoes and his socks. "On the couch, obviously," I replied, offhandedly. "Nooo! I can't make you sleep on the couch!" He whined. My eyebrows rose, in surprise. I've never seen this side of Jungkook, and it honestly was a cute sight to see. Grinning, I pulled off the younger's coat, and draped it over my rolling chair, by my desk. "Would you rather I sleep next to you?" I suggested.

Silence greeted my proposal, making me turn around, awaiting for an answer.

Jungkook was staring at his toes, with a blank face. "Mmm, can you?" He mumbled. An involuntary smile crept on my face. "If you want me to." He nodded, slowly, "I'd appreciate that." Sighing, I pushed the black-haired boy on his back. "Stay," I ordered. "I'm going to make you soup and give you medicine, first."

He pouted, and stared at me, through droopy eyes. "Promise you won't sleep on the couch?"

I smiled, softly, and reached forward to sweep his hair out of his eyes.

"You have my word."

AWUWUWAUAUAWWW!! I'm soft after writing this chapter. I know I'm going to get attacked, because you're frustrated with the mains, and I am prepared. *hides under blanket* Totally ready.

-Author-nim