Outcome

Piper

I opened my eyes and saw Lex next to me in the car. I reached up and felt the gash on my forehead, but he looked worse.

"We got movement!" I heard someone yell.

"Lex! Piper!" Another person yelled.

Everything felt like a dream as I closed my eyes.

The paramedics worked at getting us out of the car. Our families were frantic to know about our condition. They had to use the jaws of life to pull the car apart. Then carefully pulled us out of it.

"Oh, God! Lex!" Maggie screamed as they pulled him from the car while Nash held her.

"Piper!" Mom screamed as they took me.

Everything was a blur. My eyes would open, then close. I barely remember the ambulance ride, then wheeled into the hospital.

They took Lex first since he was still alive but in critical condition, and I followed suit. They worked as quickly as they could to get him prepped for surgery. His injuries were far worse than mine.

The doctor ended up stitching up the gash and treating my scrapes before taking me to a room. They gave me something to help me sleep so that I could rest.

The emergency room doctor came out to speak to everyone.

"Doctor, what's going on?" Nash asked him as the rest of the family stood there.

"Piper is fine. She sustained a gash on the forehead, and we gave her stitches. We treated her scrapes. She's bruised, but she will be fine and is in a room resting. Lex is in surgery. We found internal bleeding and bleeding in the brain. All we can do is wait. I can take the parents of Piper Harper back," the doctor announced as my parents followed him.

They left the rest of the Grays and my family without answers and worry. Until they knew what was going on, they were staying.

"I'll get some coffee," Nathan said.

"I'll do some praying," Nixon mentioned.

"I'll call Ma and Dad," Noah added.

"We wait," Nash told everyone as he held Maggie.

It was the moment that would define the Grays that family matters. No matter what anyone said, with the family, it was everything.

While Lex underwent surgery, one surgeon worked tirelessly on him. The surgeon worked several hours, trying to stop the bleeding and relieve the pressure on the brain. They were working against time, which at that moment, Lex was on borrowed time.

"Doctor, maybe you should let someone else take over," the attending nurse suggested.

"No, I made a promise, and I will keep my promise. That is my nephew, and I refused to let him die. Come on, Lex, stay with me," Jasper said as he worked on Lex. All we could do was pray and hope; it would answer our prayers.

I slept peacefully; then, I relived the crash. We had left Lyric and Michael's reception. We were talking and laughing. Lex turned to me. "I love you, Piper."

That's when I saw it. "Lex! Watch out!" I screamed.

Then just like that, someone slammed into us full force, causing us to go flying as another car tried to stop and hit us on the other side.

I woke up suddenly from the hellish nightmare, gasping.

"Piper?" I heard Dad's voice.

"Dad? Mom?" I asked, looking around in the dark.

"We're here," Mom reassured me as my parents hugged me. God, I hurt so bad. I winced as they let go of me.

"Where's Lex?" I asked frantically.

"He's in surgery, honey," Dad told me.

"Is he okay?" I looked at my parents, fearful.

"We don't know. Lex had internal bleeding and bleeding on the brain. The family is waiting on a word," Dad explained.

"He's got to be okay. We're getting married," I said as my voice cracked.

"The best thing you can do is get some rest. We'll find out about Lex," Dad assured me.

I looked at him. I didn't want to rest. I wanted to know how my fiancé was. I needed to see if he was okay or not. All I wanted was to forget that horrible moment. A moment I wish wouldn't have happened.

There are times we wish we could have done things differently. Made a different choice, say something different, pick a different way. We go back to that one moment where everything changes. I wish we would have gone back at that moment and waited a few minutes longer.

Would it have made a difference if we did? Would we still have been in that car accident? Would Lex's life be hanging in the balance? Questions we had no answers. Issues I desperately needed answers.

As of that moment, everything changed.