Getting to know you

Lex

Wanting to do things for myself, I entered the address to the bakery on my phone. Until I became better familiar with places, this was the best idea I could come up with to help myself. I didn't want to rely on my ma and Dad to cart me everywhere.

I walked to the bakery since I didn't remember how to drive; it was the best thing I could do. Dad said he would teach me again. I just wanted to become familiar with my surroundings again.

I walked into the bakery and went into the kitchen. Piper was already there, mixing ingredients.

"Hi," I greeted her.

"Hey, Lex. Ready to do some baking?" She asked me.

"Yeah," I said as she handed me an apron. I put the apron on, and she guided me on what to do. I had to admit, I enjoyed this. It was nice to do something other than sitting home and stare at unfamiliar surroundings.

After baking for a while, we took a break to eat.

"That was fun today," she mentioned in-between bites of her sandwich.

"I take it; you have had a little fun?" I asked her as I ate.

"Not lately," she replied, not elaborating on what she meant.

"I take it something happened to you?" I pressed her. I had this need to know more about her.

"Something like that. It's not something I like to talk about," Piper said to me.

"I hear you. Ever since I got out of the hospital, I felt all this pressure from my family about remembering them. I don't. How am I supposed to remember my family, if I don't remember who I am?" I asked her.

She sat there, listening to me. I don't know why I felt the need to tell her this. It was like there was something about her that made me want to say to her things.

"Sometimes we don't remember because it's not important. Then there are times we remember differently," she reasoned.

"How so?" I asked.

"People may not remember other people or things, but their heart never forgets," she answered in such a way that seemed familiar.

The more I sat there, the stronger attraction I felt towards her, then I saw her ring. I can't handle an appeal to someone engaged to another guy, can I?

We finished up, and I cleaned up. We locked up, then stood there.

"So, I'm just going to go," she mentions casually to me.

"Yeah, me too," I nodded as she turned and started walking to her car. I don't know what possessed me to do what I did next, but it was something I felt the need to do, "Piper?"

She stopped and turned to me. "Yeah?" She asked.

I walked up to her. "Would you like to get a coffee with me?" I stood there, looking at her. Lex, what are you doing? She's freaking engaged.

"Coffee sounds good," she smiled.

"Okay," I smiled back. All rational flew out of the window.

We got into her car, and she drove us to a coffee shop. We took a seat and ordered some coffee. As we sat there, drinking our coffee, we talked. It was a random conversation; I couldn't help but enjoy her company.

I watched her become animated as she spoke. She had this warmth and a sparkle in her eye when she spoke. I found her funny, kind, and intelligent. She also talked about her family. I had to admit she has some crazy family. Then something hit me.

"Lex?" Piper asked.

"Are you related to Harper's?" I asked her a bit confused.

"Yeah, they're my cousins," she smiled.

"They're my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, which I didn't know Lakin was gay," I said to her.

"Yeah, Lakin came out when you all were younger," she told me.

"Wait, did you know us when we were younger?" I asked her.

"My parents live next door to your parents. They moved there when I was two," she explained to me.

I leaned forward, intrigued by this information.

"So, you knew how I was growing up?" I asked her.

"You could say that," she nodded.

"What was I like?" I asked her with curiosity.

"You were this timid kid, but lovely. You used to figure out a way to hang out with us when I came to see your sisters. Lyric's one of my best friends," she told me.

"So, we went to school together. Did I like anyone?" I asked her.

"Yeah, you liked this one girl a lot. It took your crazy sisters and cousins to get you to admit your feelings for her," Piper said.

"Then what happened?" I asked.

"Well, the girl realized that she liked you back, but she had this horrible boyfriend. She got smart and broke up with him because she realized how much she liked you," she said wistfully.

"She must have been something special," I said to her.

"She is," she answered as I looked at her, confused.

"Wait, is she still around? Can I meet her?" I asked eagerly.

"Soon," she answered, and I sat back happy. Finally, a piece of the puzzle would reveal itself. I couldn't wait.

Piper

I dropped Lex off at his house, then made a stop. I knocked on a door, and Kain answered it. I walked inside as Kaiden came out of the kitchen.

"So, how did it go?" Kain asked me.

"It was fine until he asked to meet me," I said emphatically.

"Say what?" He asked me.

"We got to talking then went for coffee. The next thing I knew, I'm telling Lex things about himself when we were younger, then mentioned he had a girlfriend," I said with a look.

"But you're that girlfriend," Kaiden reminded me.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious," Kain retorted, earning an unamused look from Kaiden.

"What am I going to do? If I tell him it's me, he'll get mad because I lied to him," I whined.

"Yeah, so?" Kain asked me.

"I don't want Lex to be mad. I want him to remember his feelings for me. I want to get married and spend the rest of our lives together," I told them.

"You also want to do the hippity-dippity with Lexie Pooh. That makes sense," Kain shrugged.

"That's disturbing," I told him.

"I blame my father for his blatant disregard for anything remotely politically correctness," Kain remarked.

"In laymen's terms, Kain and Dad have no filter," Kaiden explained, causing Kain to roll his eyes.

"That is not helping. Can we figure out how to get Lex to fall for me before I tell him the truth?" I asked them both.

They looked at each other and smiled. Why do I have a peculiar feeling about this?