A surprise

Piper

I took the trash out to the dumpster behind the bakery when I heard something knock over. I lifted the lid of the dumpster, placing the garbage inside and looking around the area. Figuring it was nothing, I started to go back inside when I heard it again. I stopped in my tracks and turned around, looking at the dumpster area.

"Is anyone out there?" I loudly asked, waiting for someone to answer. I waited a few minutes until I heard a bottle knocked over. I walked over to where the noise was coming from until I saw something move quickly. I went around the dumpster the other way until I saw it. My eyes widened at it, which wasn't it but a girl.

She ran and hid as I chased after her, finding her crouched down. I slowly walked towards her. "I won't hurt you," I assured her as she looked at me wide-eyed. I got close as I crouched down in front of her. She was filthy, and her hair looked unwashed. She looked thinner than most girls, as her clothes looked oversized for her frame.

"I'm Piper, what's your name?" I asked her as she stared at me. "It's okay; I won't hurt you. I need a name."

"Selena," she whispered.

"Are you hungry, sweetheart?" I questioned her as she nodded. I stood up and gestured her to do the same. She slowly stood as she looked terrified at me.

"I work in a bakery. I can make you a sandwich and get you something to drink, plus we could clean you up a bit," I reasoned as she furrowed her brows at me. I smiled softly at her, so she knew I was friendly. My guess is she had been out here for a while.

We walked back to the bakery, and I led her through the back to the bathroom. I helped clean her up and gave her something to wear. I usually kept a change of clothes with me, considering things could get crazy in the bakery.

Once I cleaned her up somewhat, we left the bathroom and went to the kitchen. I motioned her to a chair, and she sat down while I made her a sandwich and got her some water. The minute she received the lunch, she scarfed it down.

While she ate and drank her water, Lex walked into the kitchen, "Piper, is the Capshaw's order almost ready?" I didn't answer when he noticed the girl at the table. She stared at him as he looked at her. "Who is she?"

"Her name is Selena. I found her behind the bakery," I answered as he looked at me like I lost my mind.

"Piper!" His tone startled her as she quickly got up and started to leave when I stopped her. I gently put my hands on her arms, soothing her.

"Nice going, Lex," I said to him as he gave me a look. "Selena, why don't you finish eating? I need to have a word with my husband." She nodded as I walked her back to her seat. She sat down as I walked over to Lex and grabbed him by the earlobe, dragging him out of the kitchen.

"Damn it, Piper, that freaking hurts!" He exclaimed.

"Don't be a tool," I ordered him as I let go of him as people watched us. I looked at them. "Oh, knock it off! Go back to what you're doing and ignore us," I ordered everyone.

Everyone went back to their business as Lex looked at me. "Piper, we need to contact someone about this girl," he spoke in a low tone.

"Yes, I know, Lex, and that's why I will call Erin. She is a social worker and works with homeless kids. I don't feel right leaving her out there," I explained to him.

He looked at me as I looked back at him. Whoever this girl was, there was a reason she was on the streets. I couldn't in good conscience, not help her.

I contacted Erin for her to come to the bakery. I explained what happened, and she informed me to keep Selena in the bakery until she got there. I knew how to do that.

The four of us stood there as she ate several cupcakes, not saying a word to us.

"Well, she likes cupcakes," Kain said as we looked at him. Lex rolled his eyes, and I shook my head.

Erin walked over and sat down across from her. "Hi Selena, I'm Erin Gray. Piper told me she found you outside going through the dumpster. Where is your parent's sweetheart?" She asked Selena.

Selena looked at her. "Dead."

The three of us stood there, shocked.

"What do you mean they're dead?" Erin asked her.

"They're dead," she shrugged as she went back to eating.

Erin got up and walked over to us.

"Well," I asked her.

"I will have to take her in and find out who she is. If what she is saying is true, it looks like she'll be staying in foster care until she ages out," Erin explained.

"Erin, I've heard horror stories about foster care," I said as Lex looked at me. He gave me a look. "What?"

"Piper, I know you want to help, but she isn't a stray dog. Let Erin do her job," he reasoned.

"Lex, I saw what my cousins went through when they lost their parents. If Michael didn't take custody of them, we would lose them in the system. I don't know who she is or where she came from, but something tells me she needs help," I told them as the three of them looked at me like I was crazy.

I saw how my cousins thrived with help. Plus, they could stay together. Something deep down inside of me nagged at me; there was more to this girl than meets the eye.

"I'll tell you what, let me figure a few things out, then I can let you know," Erin reasoned as I smiled while Lex shook his head. He may have his reservations, but I had a feeling this girl needed us as much as we needed her. Call it a hunch.