Making up for lost time

Lex

The next day, I woke in bed alone. Grabbing my phone, I had several missed calls and texts from my family, shit. I got so caught up at the moment with Piper. I completely forgot to let my parents know where I was. I quickly called them, and the minute Dad answered, I got an earful.

Once he finishes killing my eardrum, I told him what happened. It relieved him and happy for us until he mentioned a crucial detail.

"Raincoat? What the hell is a raincoat?" I asked him.

It's a condom. Please tell me you used one. Dad said.

I thought about it for a minute. "No, I didn't," I sighed.

Lex, you better pray, Piper isn't pregnant, or Nix will get his wish.

"I'll talk to Piper, and we'll monitor things," I assured him.

Okay, I got to go. Enjoy your day off, and make sure you use your raincoat.

Then I heard Ma in the background.

Are we going to be grandparents?

Maybe. Dad told her.

That's okay with me. I miss having babies around the house.

Mags! That's not funny!

I could hear Ma laughing, and I rolled my eyes as I hung up. My parents were nuts. I grabbed a pair of boxers and pulled them on before getting out of bed. I saw pictures around the room and looked at them. They were pictures of Piper and me.

Then I noticed one in particular. I picked it up, and it was a picture of me proposing to Piper. We looked so happy. All it took was one moment for someone to ruin it. I set the picture frame down as I felt someone move their hands around me from behind me.

"We were so happy," I sighed.

"Yes, but it doesn't mean we can't be happy again," she suggested as I turned around and looked at her. I loved the fact she had hope about us. I needed that hope, and so did she.

"I hate to kill a moment, but my dad asked if I wore my raincoat last night," I mentioned to her as her eyes widened. Yeah, by the look on her face, she knew what that meant.

"Piper, I'm sorry. I got so caught up at the moment, and it's not like I remember these things," I reminded her.

She relaxed a bit, "I know, Lex. I wasn't thinking either, but if it happens, it happens. We can't go back. All we can do is wait."

"If it makes you feel any better, he told me Uncle Nixon would be more than happy to perform a wedding for us. Having kids and not married is a big no in this family," I commented as she giggled.

"That's okay. It's not like it didn't schedule us to get married, anyway," Piper giggled as I rolled my eyes at her.

I pulled her into a kiss. It didn't matter at this point if she was pregnant or not. I couldn't see myself without her. Something told me, Piper would be the only one to talk sense into me when I needed it.

I spent more time with Piper than at the bakery. I was getting to know her better. I learned she liked comedies but also action movies. She loves to snuggle up to me, falling asleep on me, using my body as a pillow. She loves good food and dessert, especially cupcakes.

We could talk for hours about anything and nothing at all. The thing about Piper was that she had this personality that you enjoyed.

When we made love, I wore a raincoat. If she wasn't pregnant, I didn't want to take any chances. As for a wedding, we weren't in a rush. We were getting to know each other again.

My sisters would also hang out with us, along with my brothers-in-law and sister-in-law. They were an interesting bunch. Michael is pretty level-headed, Maverick is easy going, Mia is low key, and Major is on the severe side. They offset my sisters with their personalities.

We all had dinner together and talked.

"You seem to do a lot better, Lex," Michael mentioned.

"It's been a little rough. I know everyone has wanted me to remember everything before the accident, but I don't. I wish I could," I sighed as my sisters all looked at me.

"As much as we would like you to, maybe it's a blessing that you don't," Lyric commented as I looked at her. That was an odd thing for her to say.

"Who cares about the past? Lex is here and still a twit," Larkin retorted as I gave her a look. She smirked back at me.

"You're something else," I said to Larkin.

"Meh, we all got our burdens to bear, and you being our brother is ours," she countered.

Lakin and Luna snickered as I rolled my eyes at Larkin.

"I have to admit, seeing pictures and reading Luna's book helped," I said to them.

"We wanted you to have some familiarity to understand the family," Luna explained to me.

"I don't understand why Lex lost his memories, but I didn't," Mia blurted as we looked at her. "Why didn't he go through what I went through with my injury?" She asked Lakin, getting upset.

Lakin turned to her. "Baby girl, I explained why? Lex had a different injury than you did. It's okay," she reassured Mia.

I didn't understand what Mia was talking about here.

"What do you mean, a different injury?" I asked Lakin.

She turned and looked at me. "Mia was in an accident, and that's all."

I looked at her then at my sisters, who were tight-lipped. What weren't they telling me?

"I think it's time for us to leave," Lakin announced as she coaxed Mia out of her chair. I didn't respond when they left quickly. My other sisters followed suit, along with their husbands.

I stood there as Piper looked at me. I turned to her.

"Why do I feel like they aren't honest with me?"

Piper looked at me, not saying a word. I didn't want to press the matter. The last thing I wanted to do was start an argument between us. Whatever happened before my accident would rear its ugly head at an unexpected time, and it would involve all my sisters. The only problem is I would find out from two people I wasn't expecting to hear from them.