Meeting the infamous Grammy Gray

Lex

Nash and Maggie took me over to a house, and we went inside of it. Two older people greeted me, who referred to themselves as Nate and Pat. They welcomed me as I looked around. I sighed. Nothing seemed familiar.

Then an older woman appeared with a cane.

"Lex, this is your great-grandmother, Grammy Gray," Nash explained as I looked at her.

"Why don't we sit?" Grammy offered as she waved her cane at the couch. Okay.

I walked over and sat down on it as she made her way over, sitting down next to me. I looked around as they all stared at me. That wasn't unnerving.

"Nashville said that you remember nothing," she mentions to me.

I looked at her, confused, then at Nash. "Your name is Nashville?"

"Yeah, it's not one of my favorite things," he said as he became annoyed.

"Big deal. It's a name. Deal with it," Grammy said to him. Then she turned to me. "I heard you're having a rough time of it."

"Considering I don't remember anyone or myself, just a little," I sighed as I ran my hand through my hair.

"Maybe you aren't to remember anything," she reasoned.

"Considering everyone wants me to remember this guy that I was, doubt it," I told her.

"Only because when someone loses their memory, we want them to regain it quickly in hopes they are okay. Sometimes no matter how much we want to remember those memories, we never will," Grammy explained to me.

"It's just frustrating," I said to her.

"Lex, I get it. Let me explain something to you. In my lifetime, I had things happen that I love remembering, but then I have things I wish I could forget. You may never get your memories back, but it doesn't mean you can't make new ones," she reasoned.

That was the thing I didn't think I will ever get them back, and I didn't want to. Whoever everyone knew wasn't me.

She looked at Nash and Maggie. "You two need to step back and give this boy some breathing room."

"Grammy, we're just trying to help. Mags could recover some memories," Nash told her.

"Well, Lex isn't Margaret. She didn't have a head injury like he did. Hers was because of a quack doctor giving her the wrong damn medication. Did it ever occur to you that you both should be grateful he's alive and here?" She asked them.

I sat there, not knowing what to say.

"I saw pictures of that car after that accident. As bad as it was, he's lucky to be alive. Who gives a rat's ass about some stupid memories?" she asked her tone laced with anger.

Now, it confused me. What accident? I looked at them as they fidgeted in their seats.

"What accident?" I asked them as they looked at me, not saying a word.

"Nathaniel, bring me the pictures," Grammy ordered Nate.

"Ma," Nate said.

"Now Nathaniel before I whack you with my cane," she demanded.

He got up and went to another room as I sat there. He returned a few minutes later and handed a picture to Grammy as she turned, giving it to me. I looked at it, and it shocked me.

It was a picture of a car all mangled and tore apart. I stared at it in disbelief. My brows furrowed. I looked at them as they looked back at me with worried expressions.

"That was my car, wasn't it?" I asked them.

"Yes," Nash whispered.

"What happened?" I asked him as he looked at me with defeat.

"You were leaving your sister Lyric's wedding, and a drunk driver hit you, causing your car to ram into another car. When we got the call, our heart sank. The minute we arrived, we were heartbroken. It was bad," he spoke as his voice started to break.

"You were in critical condition and slipped into a coma. We didn't know if you would wake up or not. The doctors told us all we could do was wait," Maggie finished as I looked back at the photo.

"I don't remember any of that," I whispered.

"That is a good thing," Grammy interjected as I looked at her with furrowed brows.

"How is that a good thing?" I asked her.

"Because would it matter if you did? Think about it; what good would cause remembering a horrific moment in your life? The fact is, you're here and alive. Yes, you don't remember, but you're still here with us. That has to count for something," she told me as I felt myself getting angry.

I stood up and looked at her. "You don't get it! Thanks to whoever did this, I lost everything!" My anger was palpable.

She rose to her feet and hauled off, whacking me with her cane, "No! You don't get it! So now you will! I could give two shits less if you feel like people aren't honest with you! While you lay in that damn bed, the rest of us suffered, wondering if you would live or die! Screw memories! You can replace those, a human life you can't!" She barked.

I stood there, stunned.

She came close to me. "You listen to me and listen good. I refuse to bury a grandson or child before me. I already buried a husband, but I will bury no one else before I leave this godforsaken earth," she spoke with pursed lips as everyone, including myself, stood there, shocked.

"Ma," Nate said to her.

"No, Nathaniel, I will not stand here and while everyone skates around the truth. You're all good for that, and it stops now. He deserves to know the truth, but he also needs to get the stick out of his ass. So he lost his memories, who cares? He's here, and he's alive. It's time he understands along with the rest of you that treating him like a porcelain doll does not work," she snapped at him, as we all looked at her.

She turned back to me. "Now that we got that straightened out, those two twits over there are your mom and Dad. Those other two yahoos are your grampa and Nana. You will refer to them and not by their names. They deserve that much respect since they earned it," she ordered me.

Something told me not to cross her on this. She wasn't the type to hear someone say no to her.

I looked at Maggie and Nash. "Ma and Dad," I said.

They slowly rose to their feet as they looked at me, shocked.

"Did I say something wrong?" I asked them.

"How did you know that's what you kid call your mother?" Nash asked me.

"I don't know. It just sounded right." I shook my head. That's all it took as they both wrapped their arms around me, engulfing me in a hug. Something told me they had been waiting for me to say those words.

A mind is an exciting place. While it may not remember specific events, people, or things, our emotions do. Emotions carry a lot of our memories, even when our minds can't unlock them.

The strangest part is that even though I had no recollection of anything, what I felt was different. I felt a connection to these people without realizing it because they were my family and family matters always. It's a bond you always carry with you if you remember.