Life is crazy until you realize the raincoat broke

Lex

Over the next year and a half, we settled into family life nicely. Payton was hitting all his milestones, and it was interesting to see him accomplish every single one. It amazes me how a little human can learn things for the first time.

Things were better than ever with Piper and I until we ran into a slight issue. That happened one night when we had been enjoying ourselves a little too much. Once we finished, I went to remove the raincoat only to find it broken, well, shit.

"What's wrong, Lex?" Piper asked me with concern.

"The raincoat broke," I sighed.

"What?" She exclaimed.

"It broke, Piper!" I answered with slight irritation.

She looked at me as I looked at her. That is not what I expected, and I didn't need my temper flaring with her. I sat there and ran my hand through my hair in frustration. I felt her touch me gently and sighed.

"Lex, it'll be okay. If we end up with another one, then so be it," she answered as I looked at her.

"I can deal with kids, your moodiness, not so much," I told her as she playfully smacked me. What? Did you meet my wife when she was pregnant? She's quite a moody person.

We had to wait to find out if she needed to make a doctor's appointment. By wait, I meant to see if she missed her monthly. Sure enough, she did, and we made an appointment with the doctor.

Larkin and Maverick found out they were expecting. My prayers went out to Maverick, considering how Larkin is, except she surprised everyone, including Maverick. It turns out that Larkin was nicer while pregnant.

How many people do you know do a 360 degree while pregnant? Few and Larkin was the exception to the rule. Maybe she and Maverick could have more kids? At least, she was tolerable.

I was also curious to find out how Piper would be with this one, mood-wise. Let's hope she was a lot better than the last one.

We had our doctor's appointment, and sure enough, he confirmed it. We expected baby number two to arrive next year. When I told my parents, they were happy. Uncle Nixon laughed along with the other uncles. Is there something they knew that I didn't know?

Piper's pregnancy progressed, and let's say; she was a little snippy with me. She wasn't a little sharp; she was a lot curt and sarcastic. What is wrong with her?

I had to deal with Piper and Payton. Did I mention Payton was crazy himself? Between getting into things and tearing up the house, this kid was always doing something nuts.

One time I caught him on top of the fridge.

"Payton!" I exclaimed as he sat there, grinning.

"Dada," Payton said. He waved at me.

I reached up and pulled him off the fridge. "Let's go find your ma." He nodded as I carried him all over the house, looking for Piper. I found her asleep in bed.

I gently touched Piper, and she woke with her expression changing to shock as she saw me holding Payton. She sat up quickly and looked around the room.

"I'm guessing Payton escaped?" I said to her.

"We laid down to take a nap, and he must have got up while I slept," she yawned.

"Considering I found him on top of the fridge, I would say so," I reasoned as she did a double-take. I looked at Payton. "You will be our climber, won't you?" Payton grinned at me. I will take that as a yes.

I took a seat next to Piper on the bed. She sat up and rubbed her belly before leaning back to support herself.

"This baby is making me more tired. I swear every time I turn around, I want to sleep," she sighed.

"Sounds like the baby may like its sleep," I reasoned. We didn't know the sex yet. That was our next appointment. It didn't matter if it was a boy or a girl. I was happy with whatever we had. I concluded, no matter what we had, they would be nuts, so why fight it?

I had to figure out how to keep Payton from climbing up on things like a monkey. That would prove easier said than done. Dad came over and helped me to Payton proof of the house. It didn't matter, every time we turned around, he was climbing on something.

My uncles came over to help, claiming Dad should have called them. Grampa even came over to help, well, enjoy our frustration.

"This reminds me of when Nash was Payton's age," Grampa told Nana, who nodded.

"I take it, Dad was bad?" I mentioned to Grampa.

"Your Dad was always into something. I remember coming home to what looks like a tornado hit the house. Your nana was on the couch and looked like she had been through the mill. We found out shortly after that she was expecting Nixon," he answered.

Why didn't this surprise me? I'm guessing my future included following in family footsteps. Maybe that won't happen. At least, I hope it doesn't happen.

We had an appointment, and the doctor examined Piper then informed us we were having another boy. We looked at each other, shrugging. The doctor looked at us strangely, not understanding that having boys doesn't bother us.

We also had to figure out a name for the little guy. That is where we always try to decide on names turns into a free for all. Nothing was standing out to us until we came across one.

I looked at her, and she looked at me. "Are you sure about this?"

"Sure, why not? I'm pretty sure no matter what we name the poor kid, he will complain about his name," she reasoned.

"Yeah, true," I said as I looked at the name. I had a feeling baby number two would differ entirely from his big brother. All kids have different personalities, no matter who they are. My sisters and I did.

I guess we will wait and see.

As we got closer to Piper's due date, Larkin and Maverick had their baby. They named him Markus Maverick since Lark was in a good mood. I had a feeling that would change once the drugs wore off. Maverick was a dead man. Good luck, Mav, you will need it.

At some point, our next one would be arriving. When everyone asked what we were naming the baby? We told them they would have to wait until after the baby was born; they weren't happy about it, especially Grammy. She informed us it was only a matter of time before she took a dirt nap.

I don't know why she's so overdramatic; she'll probably outlive us all. The woman was like one hundred and fifty years old. Piper better delivers our boy soon, so we can tell everyone what his name is before they lose their minds.