Settling into married life

Lex

We returned from our honeymoon, and I saw someone Maverick recommended to me about my issues. He diagnosed me with PTSD and explained it's reasonable to experience it after being through what I went through with the accident. I could make sense of everything, and it didn't seem so frightening.

That helped me as I settled into married life with Piper. We continued to work at the bakery, and her pregnancy was coming along nicely. Lyric and Piper, we're moving along nicely.

Although I was a little worried about her and the baby, okay, scratch that, it worried me a lot.

"Lex, will you relax? I'm fine. The doctor said everything was progressing nicely," Piper assured me as she waddled away.

"Do you think you should be on your feet like that?" I inquired.

Piper gave me an annoyed look and rolled her eyes. "I'm not defenseless or incapable of doing things for myself. You make me sound like a toddler," she exclaimed.

"I'm trying to be a good father," I said across the kitchen in the bakery.

"No, you're annoying. Now stop it!" She yelled at me.

I gave her an annoyed look as Dad came into the bakery's kitchen to see our standoff. He chuckled. "Problems?"

"No," Piper said.

"Yes," I said.

"Piper, can you help Mags our front?" Dad asked her.

"Gladly," she huffed as I became irritated. She walked by me but not before slugging me in the arm.

"Quit it, you brute!" I yelled at her.

"Bite me, you tool!" She yelled back as she left the kitchen.

"Women," I sighed.

"Son, let me give you a piece of friendly advice. You married a woman and made her a Gray. Grays are a whole different breed. They are the only ones who put up with our shit. Count your blessings," Dad advised me.

"I worry about her and the baby," I said anxiously.

"I hear you, but imagine dealing with someone who houses five babies at once," Dad reminded me.

"Good point," I agreed.

The door to the kitchen opened, and Nixon walked in. "What's up with Pied Piper? She whipped a loaf of bread at me." He thumbed at the door.

"Lex is driving her nuts with his anxiousness of fatherhood," Dad told him as Nixon started laughing a lot.

I looked at him incredulously.

"If you're anxious about the possibility of one, imagine having multiples. Kat was freaking insane with frick and frack. I swear I was happy she only had them. Word of advice, the Gray women are nuts, hide," he advises me.

"That isn't helping," I groaned.

"It's not to help you. What part of the Gray women are freaking nuts, didn't you get?" He questioned me. "Damn, I think you got your tool genes from your old man. Scratch that, I know you did," Nixon remarked as Dad shook his head, rolling his eyes.

These two were no help, and I'm pretty sure if I go out front, Piper will whip a pastry at me. All I wanted to do is to be a good father. I have this little human coming into the world, and I didn't have a clue about how to be a father. It was disheartening.

We left the bakery, and every time I opened my mouth, I got the death glare from Piper. That was great and reinforced the fact; I was clueless about parenthood and marriage. I kept my mouth shut.