Welcome to the family Payton Gray

Lex

Piper neared her due date, and they threw a baby shower for her and Lyric since they were due so close together. The only problem was she didn't exactly make it to her baby shower. Payton decided he wanted to arrive on the day of her baby shower. Let me explain.

My wife is an amazing woman, what she isn't amazing about is the fact she was in labor and didn't bother to tell me. Every time I asked her if she was okay, her answer was, I'm fine. She was not okay. She was anything but fine.

We argued on the way to my parents' house for the double shower.

"Lex, I'm fine," Piper huffed as she winced.

"Piper, you are not fine," I told her as she kept insisting she was okay.

We arrived at my parents' house and got out of the car. "I told you I was fine!"

"Piper, you haven't been fine all day, and telling me its gas is a big whopper!" I exclaimed.

"Lex and Piper are here," Nixon announced.

"How do you know?" Dad asked him.

"Well, they're arguing, and Piper slugged Lex," Nixon shrugged.

"Damn, that is one hell of a pregnancy," Nathan commented as they looked at him. "I'm just saying."

We got to the door and as soon as they opened it, guess whose water broke. We all looked down.

"Guess we will have a single shower," Nixon smirked as Ma smacked him. "Excuse me, you smack him, not me," he pointed at Dad, who rolled his eyes.

I shook my head and promptly escorted Piper back to the car. Someone needed to bring us our bags and all the other baby items we needed since someone said they were excellent.

I drove Piper to the hospital, and the minute she hit the door, she let out a scream.

"I told you, you weren't fine," I huffed.

"Screw you, Lex!" She growled as the hospital staff helped us back to the triage room. This baby needs to come now. Moody over here was driving me nuts.

They got her all set up, and we waited. Payton was stubborn. Piper told me he takes after me, taking his sweet ass time to get here. I swear this was not what I signed up for when she got pregnant.

It took hours, but he finally arrived, and Piper stopped being hell on wheels. Thank god for that. While they got her in a room with the baby, I called our family. Well, I didn't need to call anyone. It turns out that the family was all in the waiting room. I took them back to meet the newest member of the family.

We walked into the room to find Piper cradling Payton. I walked over, and she handed me the baby. I took him in my arms and looked at him.

"What's his name, Lex?" Dad asked as everyone looked at me.

Looking at Payton, I said, "Payton Nashville Gray." I looked up at Dad, who looked stunned. "We thought we should name him after a man important to me."

"I don't know what to say?" Dad whispered.

"Well, Nashville, I think it should honor you," Grammy commented to him.

"Uh, I am. It's just a lot to take in," he said as he wiped his eyes.

I walked over and handed him the baby as he took the baby from me. He held him in his arms and looked at him, "Mags?"

"Nash, if anyone deserves to honor, it's you," Ma assured Dad. He looked at her as she smiled at him, then looked back at the baby.

People can think what they like about my dad even if he wasn't perfect, but he was a decent person who was always there for us. After a few minutes, Ma took the baby from him. When we tried to get him back, that was a big no. I think we lost Payton to Ma.

Payton was a month old when Lyric had Matthew. We went to see her, and Michael told me they scheduled him to get fixed. One was enough for him. He didn't want to deal with my hormonal sister again, and I couldn't blame him.

Piper and I settled into parenthood nicely. We had a few more weeks before the doctor released her. That figures. Six weeks is a long ass time not to get lucky.

It didn't matter though; the minute the doctor gave her the all-clear, Ma and Dad kept Payton for the night so that I could get reacquainted with my wife. Boy, did we get reacquainted with each other?

After the fifth time, we stopped. Piper looked at me and chuckled.

"What's so funny?" I asked her.

"The fact, if we keep this up, we might add to our family," she smirked.

"I got plenty of raincoats," I commented as I opened the drawer of the nightstand to reveal my stockpile.

Her eyes widened. "How long have you been collecting these?"

"Since you had Payton. Figure the minute we got the all-clear, it was on like Donkey Kong," I smirked.

"You're unholy, Lex," she remarked.

"Piper, it's been six long ass weeks. I like sex, so sue me," I shrugged as she shook her head.

That was the thing about the Grays, as Grammy put it, we were virile young men. Boy, she was right.

I pulled Piper close to me, and she snuggled into me. Both of us fell asleep, cuddled up next to each other. Even if we had another one, it didn't matter to me. Piper was my family, and we were adding to it.

The next day, we woke, and I looked at the time. We needed to get ready so that we could pick up Payton. I looked over, and she was still sleeping, so I let her sleep, picking Payton up myself along with breakfast.

I arrived at my parents to collect Payton, and they offered to keep him anytime. I assured them they could as long as Piper said yes. Trust me; you never want to come between a mother and her child. Ma hated to see us go, but Dad reassured her they had another baby to cuddle, so she called Lyric promptly. I think she was having baby fever.

I took Payton and set his car seat in the car, then got breakfast. We came home, and a surprised Piper greeted me.

"Morning," I greeted her.

"Where did you go?" She asked me.

"Payton and I went to get Mommy breakfast," I replied, holding up a bag as he slept in his car seat. She looked at us and smiled as she took the bag. I took care of Payton.

Somehow I had a feeling things were about to get crazy with us over the next few years. Call it instinct, but life would be nuts.