Damn son, you need to get a move on

Lex

Piper and I started spending more and more time together. We kept it simple. I wanted to get to know better before going further with her, so I continued to hand-holding and kissing. In this family, they felt I was a snail about things.

"Lex, you need to speed things up," Kain said as I was bagging up bread in the bakery kitchen.

"What's wrong with taking things slow?" I asked him.

"Nothing if you consider a snail slow," he retorted as I gave him an unamused look. Kaiden snickered at the whole exchanged.

"I got an idea, why don't you focus on your love life and quit worrying about mine?" I suggested to Kain.

"Yeah, you need not remind me. The old man is just itching for me to get hitched so he can perform the wedding ceremony," Kain sighed.

I looked at Kaiden, who threw his hands up in defense. "Don't look at me. I haven't found the right guy yet."

I did a double-take.

"Oh, I forgot that you don't remember. I told you and Kain that I was gay," he said casually.

"I'm learning something new about this family every day. So, my sister is a lesbian, and you're a homosexual? Good to know," I nodded as Kain rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, my brother bats for the same team. Can we move along and figure out how to get you and Piper to get it on?" Kain huffed.

"Wait, I'm still trying to process the fact Kaiden is gay," I commented as I turned to Kaiden. "So, when did you realize that you're gay?"

"In college," Kaiden answered.

"Christ! At this rate, we will never get you to the altar," Kain groaned.

"Sorry, I'm trying to understand and be supportive of the family," I shrugged, pissing Kain off even more. He let out a frustrated yell as Nixon walked into the kitchen.

"What's my lunatic son doing? He sounds like a dying animal," Nixon mentioned, pointing to Kain.

"He's just pissed because Lex and Piper haven't gotten it on yet," Kaiden mentioned to him.

Nixon looked at me. "Damn, son, you need to get a move on."

I looked at him and sighed.

"Look, Grays are notorious for getting together with their partners quickly and getting married even quicker," Nixon told me.

"I get that, but it's not like I remember any of these things," I responded, arching my eyebrow.

They all looked at me and realized what I meant.

"I'm lucky my memory is the only thing affected. Thinking back to what everyone said, no one knew if I would wake up. So, if I take my time, I think I earned it," I said emphatically, letting my frustration get the best of me.

It's not that I didn't want to go faster with Piper; it's a fact, I wanted to enjoy her. I tried to get to know her, and I couldn't do that if they rushed me.

Kain turned and walked out as Nixon and Kaiden stood there.

"Talk to him. He took it hard after the accident," Kaiden advises me. I nodded and went after Kain.

I came out of the bakery to find him standing there with his back to me. Then, I heard it. He was crying.

I walked over to him, "Kain?"

"Every day, you laid in that bed, and all I wanted was for you to wake up. I thought, damn, if you die, I would lose my best friend; then it would stick me with all these other twits. The only person who could keep me sane and in-checked wouldn't be here," Kain whispered as he turned to face me.

I watched him wipe his face with his hands.

"But I'm here," I reminded him.

"I know, and that's what is the best part but also the most tragic," he said to me.

I looked at him as he stood there. Kain may appear a hard nut to crack, but deep down, he had a tender heart. Situations affected him differently from others.

"Lex, you aren't just my best friend but my brother. I never saw you as just a cousin but a brother too. Watching everything you went through while we were growing up would piss me off. You didn't deserve half the shit that happened, and you didn't deserve, getting plowed into by a stupid ass drunk driver," he snapped. Then he broke and lost it.

I threw my arms around him as he fought me.

"Why? Why did it have to be you? Why couldn't be anyone else?" He screamed as I held onto him tightly. Nixon and Kaiden came out of the bakery as they watched us in the parking lot. "Why, Lex?" He cried as I held him.

"I don't know," I answered as he held on tightly to me as he cried.

His sobs were a mixture of anger and relief. Fury because this happened to me, relief because I lived. The worst feeling in the world is knowing there's a possibility of someone you love dying because of someone else's stupidity.

Getting behind the wheel intoxicated isn't only stupid, but it's dangerous. One moment of fun can ruin lives forever. It makes one think.

I don't remember the accident, but I do know from seeing the pictures. I was lucky to be alive, not only myself but Piper too. She was in the car with me.

After talking with Nixon, Kain, and Kaiden, I went to see someone. Someone that I needed to see. I knocked on the person's door, and they answered.

"Lex?" Piper asked, confused.

I didn't answer. All I did was crash my lips into Piper's as she kissed me back. I picked her up, and she wrapped her legs around me as I carried her inside and closed the door behind us. Never breaking our kiss, I took her upstairs, and as soon as we hit the bedroom, we quickly made work of our clothes.

At that moment, both of us gave into a passion, as we made love to each other. I needed to be with Piper and feel her close to me. I devoured her entirely as we continued until we both exploded.

Lying there afterward with her in my arms, she laid upon my chest, gliding her fingertips over my chest area.

"I missed this," she whispered.

"I could tell," I responded as we both laughed.

Piper lifted her head, looking at me. She caresses my face, and I saw a look of love in her eyes. It's something we both needed.

"I love you, Lex," she told me without hesitation.

"I love you, too," I replied as she leaned down and kissed me again. I pulled her to me as I rolled her over and made love to her back.

Being so caught up at the moment, we forgot one crucial thing, which would change everything. It would also be my saving grace for what was to come.