It isn't fair

Piper

I came to see Lex every day. So did his family. The sisters weren't handling it well at all.

"It isn't fair," Lyric said through gritted teeth as we all looked at her.

"Lex shouldn't be laying there, hooked up machines. He should be up and annoying us," Larkin added.

"Lakin, you work with him every day. Please tell us that he will wake up," Luna pleaded.

Lakin looked at them. "I can't. I wish I could." She placed her hands on his bed rail and looked at him, "Every damn day, I come in here to help him and pray that's the day he opens his eyes. Every day, they remain shut."

I had never seen the sisters so lost before; it broke my heart. I sat there as they looked at him.

"Piper?" Someone said.

I looked at them, "We were getting married, be happy. I don't even know if Lex will wake up," I whispered as I turned back to him. My future was lying in a bed on a machine.

The sisters looked at me as I sat there, confused. Why Lex? Out of anyone, why him? It didn't make sense.

I stayed as others came to visit, listening to them all talk. The hardest was listening to Kain.

"Hey, Lex. I think it's time you wake up. Come on, man. Wake up," Kain said as his voice broke.

"Kain," Kaiden said.

"No," he snapped as he looked at Kaiden. "He's not supposed to be here! He's supposed to be awake! Why? Why him? It isn't right, Kaiden," he barked.

"I know, but it's up to him," Kaiden told him.

"Then make him wake up! Kaiden, make Lex wake up! Please," he said as he broke.

Nash and Nixon appeared. Kain looked at Nixon. "You're a man of God, right?"

"Yes," Nixon told him.

"Then where is your god? Why did this happen? Why?" Kain snapped.

"Kain," Nixon said.

"Dad! It's not fair! Lex shouldn't be here! He didn't deserve this!" Kain yelled. Nixon walked toward him as he wrapped his arms around Kain as Kain screamed, "Dad! Please!"

"I know, son," he comforted him as Kain broke. I watched as he cried, and my heart ached. We were so lost. All I could do was sit there.

I felt someone gently shake me. I rubbed my eyes, "Piper?"

I opened my eyes to see Dad standing there. "Hey, Dad."

"Honey, you need to go home and get sleep," he said to me.

"I can't. I can't leave Lex," I said as I stretched.

"I know, but you need to get some rest. You've been here every day," he reasoned.

I looked at him, "Because I love him. That's what you do when you love someone, you stay. You don't leave."

He looked at me as I looked at him. I played with my engagement ring. It was a reminder that one day, Lex would wake up and we would get married. Until then, I was staying with Lex.

It got to the point; people knew me on sight. Every day I came to see Lex and stayed. I would read to him regularly. I would tell him everything was going on with everyone. It had become my life since it was lying in a bed right now.

I walked in to find Nash and Maggie with him.

"Hey Piper," Nash greeted me.

"Hey Nash," I hugged him then hugged Maggie. "How is he?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"The same," Nash sighed.

I walked in and kissed Lex's forehead. He was still in his coma, and we didn't know if he would come out of it. All we could do was wait.

I sat down and pulled out a book. I started reading to Lex. I didn't know if he could hear me, but I hoped he did. Maybe if he listened to my voice, he would wake up.

At some point, the sisters came as did the brothers and cousins. Even Grammy came to see him. She sat next to me.

"You know, Grays are fighters. They fight back through everything," Grammy said to me.

I sighed.

"He will wake up," she declared.

"We don't know that, Ma," Nate said to her.

She snapped her head towards Nate. "Do not tell me he won't wake up. I'm ninety-six. I lost your father; I refuse to lose a child or grandchild before me."

"Grammy, we know you want him to wake up, but it's up to Lex," Nash told her.

"Nashville, your son is a Gray. Grays are tough. No matter how much we get beat down, we always get back up. I believe that and you should too. Now, Lex will wake up," she said emphatically. She looked at Lex.

I wanted to believe he would come back to us. He has to go back to us because we needed him. I needed him. Lex comes back to me.

I came to see him only to find everyone out in the hallway as the door to Lex's room was closed. What in the world?

"What's going on?" I asked everyone.

"He's awake," Nash told me.

"Oh my God," I said as I felt my heartbeat out of my chest.

"They're taking Lex off the vent. That's why we're out here," Maggie said as I nodded.

A few minutes later, the door opened, and the doctors emerged.

"You can see him now," Jasper told us.

We nodded as all of us went inside. I couldn't believe my eyes. Lex was awake and sitting up. He stared at all of us. It relieved us.

Then he said something that changed everything. "Who are you, people?"

We all looked at each other. Now what?