Please wake up

Piper

After a few days, I could see Lex. My dad took me to his room in a wheelchair. They were releasing me tomorrow. He wheeled me in, and it shocked me. Lex was lying in a bed, hooked up to machines. Nash and Maggie were there.

Dad rolled me over to his side of the bed.

"How is Lex?" I asked Nash and Maggie.

"Lex slipped into a coma right after the surgery. The doctors won't know anything until he wakes up," Nash told me, oh god.

"They say if you talk to him, he can hear voices," Maggie told me. I nodded.

I reached over and touched his hand, then I held it. It was so warm.

"Hey, Lex, it's me, Piper. Wake up, baby. We're getting married in a few months and starting a family," I said to Lex.

Nash watched us as he rubbed his face in frustration.

"I still remember when you finally confessed that you loved me. You dragged me into an empty classroom. You were so jealous, and I forced you to admit your feelings. Well, I have my confession. I was in love with you before you ever confessed. I just wanted you to admit it first," I said as tears fell down my cheeks.

Nash, Maggie, and my parents watched us.

"Lex, you need to wake up. People want to see you open those beautiful steel-grey eyes of yours. I want to see them. Please open your eyes, baby," I said, trying not to break, but I felt like I was breaking.

I kept talking to him as they stood there. Then someone walked into the room.

"It's time for Lex's therapy," Lakin said as I pulled my hands back.

She walked over and pulled his blankets off. She picked up his one leg and worked it. "Come on, little brother, work with me," Lakin coaxed.

We watched as she worked with his legs and arms.

"You know you're so damn stubborn. But that's okay because I won't give up on you," Lakin said as she did Lex's physical therapy.

When Lakin finished, she placed a blanket back over Lex.

"How is he doing?" Nash asked Lakin.

"It's a wait and sees, but I'm working with him. The hospital almost didn't let me perform his physical therapy, but no one will touch my brother except me," Lakin told Nash.

He wrapped his arms around her. "I know."

"Lyric, Lark, and Luna will be by later," she told him.

"Okay," he said as she hugged Maggie, then went to her next patient.

"Nash?" I said.

"Yes, sweetheart?" Nash asked, maintaining his composure.

"Do you mind if I hold off starting at the bakery until we find out if Lex will wake up?" I asked him.

"Not at all, take your time," he said as I sat there with Lex. Even when they released me, I wasn't leaving him. He would wake up, and we would get married. We would have our happily ever after together.

Later on, I snuck out of my room and made my way down to see Lex. I walked into his hospital room, and he was still lying there. I didn't see anyone in his hospital room, so I walked over, climbing into bed with him. I lay there with him, taking his arm, wrapping it around me as I cuddled up next to him.

I fell asleep next to him.

The next morning, I got caught by Nash and Nixon.

"Nash, look at this," Nixon said, chuckling as Nash saw us. He smiled and shook his head.

He walked over to me and gently shook me. I awoke and rubbed my eyes. "I must have fallen asleep. Sorry," I apologized.

"Don't be sorry, but we need to get you back to your room before they find you are missing," Nash said as I nodded.

He helped me off the bed and took me back to my room.

"I hope you don't mind that I stayed with him," I mentioned to Nash.

"Piper, trust me, you staying with him makes things feel normal. Because we don't know what will happen," he said.

"Where's Maggie?" I asked him.

"Mags is checking in at the bakery. She and Kat are coming up in a few minutes," he said as we reached my room. I hugged him. He needed that hug.

I went back into my room as he returned to Lex's hospital room. He came upon Nixon talking to Lex.

"You know, you lay around all day is not helping anyone. See people need you to open those eyes and say I'm okay, especially your folks and Piper. I'm good with you being lazy. But your folks and Piper aren't. See, don't tell anyone, but your ma cries a lot. She's a big baby, anyway. Your dad, he doesn't think anyone hears him, but I catch him crying. I just don't tell him. I don't want to make him feel like a crybaby," Nixon said, wiping his eyes.

Nash stood there and watched Nixon with Lex.

"Come on, Lex, you're a Gray. We, Grays, are tough. Nothing can take us out. Even Grammy is still kicking," he whispered.

Maggie and Kat walked up, and Nash stopped them. He put his finger to his lips, shushing them. Then he pointed to Nixon and Lex.

"Lex, I don't know how to do this mushy crap. It's not me. Even with your ma and Dad, I have a hard time doing mushy crap. But for you, I will make an exception. See, don't tell anyone this, but you remind me of your dad. You're like a mini version of him. Your dad and I are close, and I know for a fact that he needs you to wake up," he said.

They walked in, and he turned to them with red eyes. He wiped his eyes. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough brother, long enough," Nash told him.

"Yeah, well," he said as his voice broke. Nash pulled him into a hug as he cried.

"I know, brother, I know," he said, offering him comfort.

Nixon may seem like he has a tough exterior, but with the family, he was like the rest of them. The brothers all took it hard, as did the rest of the Grays. Everyone came to see Lex as he laid there in a coma. We didn't know when he would wake up. I hope it was soon. I miss those steel-grey eyes of his and his touch.

They had released me from the hospital, but I spent more time there. My parents are worried about me. I didn't care. I wasn't leaving, not until he woke up. Lex, please wake up.