A new love

Kaiden

Lex took me up on his offer, and I took Payton home from school for him, so he didn't have to find someone to stay with the boys in case they were napping. Greg tried to have a conversation with me, but I kept it brief. I knew what he was trying to do, and I refused to take the bait. Mitch was the same way when we met.

I kept it brief with him. I would pick up Payton from his class and take him home. That is where it got interesting. What I didn't know was Payton telling his parents about Greg and me. Thanks to Payton, Lex enlisted help to scheme to set me up with Greg.

I stopped by the bakery to pick up some baked goods. I was craving something sweet to eat, and I looked in the cases to figure out what I wanted.

"Everything looks amazing, doesn't it?" I heard someone ask me.

I stood up, turning to see Greg standing there casually.

"It doesn't look amazing; it tastes amazing. My aunt and uncle own the bakery," I told him.

"That would make sense considering your last name is Gray," he smiled genuinely at me. I couldn't help smile back at him. "What would you suggest having?" He asked me as I looked at him.

"I like their muffins. They're moist and delectable," I commented as Greg looked at me.

Uncle Nash came out to the counter. "Hey, Kaiden."

"Hey, Uncle Nash. Could we get two muffins?" I asked him.

"Sure, what kind would you like?" He asked us.

"Double chocolate chip," we both said at the same time as Nash chuckled. I looked at Greg. Mitch refused to order anything at the bakery. He kept telling me that if I ate as I did, I would be undesirable.

Nash handed us the muffins, and I went to pay when he refused it. He told me it was on the house. We took a seat at a table and ate our muffins while talking.

"I missed this," Greg said in between bites.

"What's that?" I asked him.

"Enjoying a good muffin. My ex hated it when I ate junk food. My ex told me it was unhealthy, and I got stuck consuming a lot of plants," he replied, contorting his face as I chuckled.

"I know what you mean. My ex would make comments about gaining weight. My ex told me if I kept eating as I did, I would be fat and ugly, then it would force my ex to leave me," I sighed as I set my muffin down. Just the thought of what I dealt with left a sour taste in my mouth.

"He sounds like a real tool," Greg remarked as I looked at him a bit surprised. "I would rather enjoy food than deal with worrying about what people thought. Do you know that after we broke up, I went out and bought all my favorite flavors of ice cream? It was pure heaven, along with watching rom-com. I didn't have to listen to him complain that it wasn't educational and cultural." Greg grinned as I smiled even more.

We talked while we had conspirators lurking in the back.

"How do you think it's going?" My dad asked them.

"So far, so good," Nash answered.

"At least, he's smiling," Kain added.

"You got to love five-year-olds when they talk," Lex chuckled.

"Don't you guys find anything wrong with setting Kaiden up?" Piper asked them.

"Sometimes we just need a push, it's our way," my dad told her.

They watched as Greg and I talked and laughed. Greg has this warmth and friendliness to him that was genuine, making me feel at ease with him. I had never felt this way with anyone before in my life.

We finished our muffins and got up. When we parted ways, I hated the feeling of leaving. That was weird.

I went home and went into the house greeted by Ma, "How was your trip to the bakery?"

"It was nice. I ran into a co-worker, and we sat down together, eating a muffin," I told her.

"What's this co-worker like?" She inquired.

"He's friendly, nice, kind, and funny. I never laughed so hard as I did with him. It's interesting. I didn't even know he was gay." I shrugged.

"He sounds like a decent guy. Maybe you'll talk more," she suggested to me.

"I don't know. I mean, Greg's nice and all but Mitch was the same way in the beginning, and we all know how that turned out. I think I'm better single," I told her as I went up to my room. I know most people would say you need to take a chance, but I couldn't go through that again.

Over the next few weeks, Greg and I would chat, but I kept him at arm's length. I didn't want to lead him on because it wouldn't be fair to him. He was a nice guy, but I refused to get close to someone again.

One day, I went to pick up Payton when Greg stopped me before we left.

"Kaiden, I was wondering if you would like to have dinner with me?" He asked me.

Before I answered, Payton, answered for me. "Yes, he would."

"Payton!" I looked at him wide-eyed. He looked up at me and grinned as Greg chuckled. "Excuse my cousin; he's been around the family too long," I sighed.

"No worries, but I would like to have dinner with you one night," he mentioned.

"I don't know," I hesitantly said.

"Kaiden, have dinner with me once. If I'm a terrible date, then I promise never to bother you anymore," Greg suggested as I looked at him.

I felt a tug on my arm. I looked down to see Payton gesturing me with his finger. I leaned down, and he whispered in my ear, "Kaiden says yes. He's nice, and I didn't have to tie him up." I did a double-take.

"Remind me to talk to your dad," I said to Payton as he shrugged. I remembered our first day of school. Kain and I stay out of trouble for once. It relieved our dad while the quints were in the principal's office. I straighten up and look at Greg. "Fine, one dinner."

He smiled as I shook my head, leading Payton away. I hope I didn't regret this.

Tonight, I was having dinner with Greg. I was nervous. I hadn't been on a date in a long time. As I got ready, someone tapped on my door. I turned to see my dad standing there.

"You look nervous," Dad mentioned.

"It's because I am nervous," I replied, changing my shirt again.

Dad walked into my bedroom. "It'll be okay, Kaiden," he assured me.

I looked at my dad, doubtful. "It's dinner. If it doesn't work out, then you're only out a few bucks and a few hours," Dad reasoned.

I know my dad was trying to help, but you don't want to worry about someone mistreats you again. It makes your gun shy.

I finished getting ready and drove to a restaurant to meet Greg.

I got out of the car and walked into the restaurant. I looked around, trying to see if Greg was there and I didn't see him. I knew this was a mistake. Therefore, I stayed single. I didn't want to risk someone stands me up or disappointment, which I encountered both.

I turned to leave when I came face to face with Greg.

"Sorry, I'm late. I was a little nervous, so I kept changing my clothes," Greg truthfully said. I chuckled, causing him to chuckle. "Shall we?"

"Yes," I answered as the hostess showed us to a table.

We sat down and ordered our meal, then talked. After a few minutes, I relaxed and had a good time. It was nice having dinner and enjoying someone's company. Who knows, maybe this was the start of something new? I had hope for once.